Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas? >

Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas?

Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM

I have three groups: yardage, approximate fat quarter, and little bits--each is sorted by color. I like using those bins with plastic drawers. I have different sizes for each group. I use the little bits for paper piecing, and I can just pull out the whole drawer. It keeps all those little bits corraled in one spot, and when I'm finished, I can just pick up the whole pile and put them back in the bin. I usually clean up my sewing room when I finish each day so that it doesn't get out-of-control messy. I do the sorting while I'm cleaning up so that sorting doesn't become a chore in itself.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM

whenever i ask for anything on craigslist i get offers from so far away that it isn't worth the gas for the small amount being offered. with the price of gas, i can buy scraps at the next yard sale. and even if you ask for cotton only, you never know what you'll get.

which brings up another point: what do most of you consider 'small'. i think small is less than a 2.5 strip or a 2.5 square, because by the time you delete the seams, i don't want to be bothered. but i know that some of you use i".
Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Right now i have mine sorted by color, but was very excited toread some of the other ways you all deal with scraps. i'm interested in the chop, charm,etc. that was mentioned.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM

When I finish a project, I take all the leftover scraps and cut them into the largest square I can. I keep a plastic case (school supplies size bought at WalMart*) for each size (great for making scrappy quilts!). Pieces just under a fat quarter are kept in a zip lock by color in a drawer. All other is stored by color.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM

I sort mine by color. I made a scrap quilt using blues and somehow ended up with more blue scraps than when I started. LOL.

I have a plan for this year to make many scrap quilts to use up the scraps and fabric I have had for awhile. I get to buy background material if I "need" it.

I am working on one now, my next project will be a crazy quilt.

Can't wait.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM

mine are in a big box.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM

i keep two small boxes/baskets beside my machine. As I get a scrap, I decide if it is useless or not. The ones too tiny to use go in one basket, the bigger ones in the next one. If they are big enough for another use (1 1/2 or 2" or larger, second basket. The useless ones will go into pillows for animals or if they are real skinny lengths, lay them out for the birds in the spring. They love them for their nests. Bright colors attract them.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM

I have spent the last week and a half cutting the "scraps" into what I hope will be usable sizes and found another box last night. Right now I just want to finish cutting and put them away.

Organizing really makes a mess.

Sharon
Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Has anyone gone on www.quiltville.com and seen Bonnies sorting methods? I think she is brilliant and she has changed my life. I really do not want to do a 2, 3 or 4 fabric quilt, I love scrappy. so I have the large containers and had my husband put dividers in each one. I have a 1 1/2" strip, 2" strip & 2 1/2" strip container, divided into light, med, darks. So, if I know I need 2" strips to make a bunch of green 4 patches, I go to my 2" bin, which has actually been expanded to include another bin of batiks on one side and neutrals in the other. Pull out my greens & neutrals and off I go. I made one of Bonnies patterns the other day Chunky Churndash ( I am the unwashed hostess of Bonnies swap group called Quiltville swap, we are swapping that block). It was a snap to get started on that block because everything was there for me to grab. I didn't cut a thing for that block. My squares & half squares are in another rolling cart, easy to access. For my larger pieces I have some unique pieces of furniture that I use that are perfect for the job at hand. If anyone is interested I will dl some pictures. A piece of fabric does not walk into my house without getting a 1 1/2", 2", & 2 1/2" strip cut from it - I buy fabric with that in mind and sometimes that's all the fabric I buy. When I tell you I like scrappy - I mean it - the more fabric the more I like it.
Judi in Ohio
Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM

you mentioned Cathedral Window quilts i have been looking for a pattern for it do you have one?

thanks
memathomas