Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap? >

Scrap?

Scrap?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I toss anything that's smaller than an inch. A scrap to me is a FQ or smaller.
Shame on you CJ and BJ there are so many like me that would love to get your scraps!! probably a lot more that could use the help to their stash. Please consider saving for someone else.

Amma I had to laugh I buy 1/4 and 1/8 yds for my stash. I used to never buy anything larger than a half yard!
I keep my scraps - anything less than a 2" square size in zip lock bags. I do sort by color most of the time if I have the patience. Otherwise it all goes into a zip for sorting later. I do alot of scrappy work so use all the variety I can get. I try not to repeat any one fabric in the same projects so I like to have a lot of scraps for resource to go through when I am looking for a certain color or value.
Well I guess I will have to start saving those and send them to you. I just can't work with those little tiny pieces. LOL!! So don't be surprised if you start receiving envelopes in the mail crammed full.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

any piece of fabric i have cut off from another piece of fabric and not used in that project is a scrap from that project...if it is yards...well that is a bonus scrap! most of my scraps are definitly not yards, but sometimes i love a fabric and buy a couple yards; i may make one 12" Block out of it...although not true...scraps, it is still a scrap(leftover) from that block. my stash is my scraps :thumbup: i go through phases when my scraps seem to have multiplied out of control i set aside a weekend, or a day and spend it pressing and cutting up everything smaller than a fq into what i consider (usable scraps) squares, strips, in the largest pieces i can get out of the fabric.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM

I keep fat quarters in one area, anything bigger in another area, and anything smaller goes in the scrap basket. I make scrap quilts more than anything else so I'm always going through my scrap basket. I also keep scraps in a blanket chest and go through that too when I'm looking for scraps. I keep almost everything. Anything that is "stringy" I've started saving to toss outside to help the birds build their nests. It is very difficult for me to toss fabric in the wastebasket.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM

WOW! Thanks for all the feedback (and so quickly!) I look forward to hearing more.

I'm just going through all my fabric today and am trying to somewhat organize it. I think I'll end up with my large fabric bin, Christmas fabric bin and a UFO bin. I've gained a 5 drawer dresser in the last couple of days and I think one of those drawers will be for the projects I have stuff for but not started. And then I'll have my scrap basket/bin which will be probably anything less than a 1/4 yard.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Start a new habit! When finishing a project, take time to organize and
cut those scraps into usable strips, squares, triangles, etc. and store in
a labeled zip lock bag or box! Saves alot of frustration later on when
you want to start another project.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Anything less than probably an inch gets tossed. If I can use it for maybe some applique, I'll keep it.
I have a wire/fabric laundry basket that I bought at Walmart years ago and that's where all my scraps go. Once it's full, I sort thru it. Most of it gets sent away to someone that needs it, but I do keep some for my self.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
bj

Shame on you CJ and BJ there are so many like me that would love to get your scraps!! probably a lot more that could use the help to their stash. Please consider saving for someone else.

Amma I had to laugh I buy 1/4 and 1/8 yds for my stash. I used to never buy anything larger than a half yard!
I keep my scraps - anything less than a 2" square size in zip lock bags. I do sort by color most of the time if I have the patience. Otherwise it all goes into a zip for sorting later. I do alot of scrappy work so use all the variety I can get. I try not to repeat any one fabric in the same projects so I like to have a lot of scraps for resource to go through when I am looking for a certain color or value.
I'm pretty careful the way I cut and I don't really throw away a lot. Trust me, I would feel awful if I felt I was being wasteful. My bits I throw away truly are very small bits. I cringe when I see E. Burns pitch pieces over her shoulder. I wonder if she goes back and picks them all up after the cameras are off.

:-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bj

I'm pretty careful the way I cut and I don't really throw away a lot. Trust me, I would feel awful if I felt I was being wasteful. My bits I throw away truly are very small bits. I cringe when I see E. Burns pitch pieces over her shoulder. I wonder if she goes back and picks them all up after the cameras are off.

Couldn't resist teasing!! But what is small to most is big to me! I am a miniaturist after all. I made a one patch small quilt one time with all 3/4" squares and all scrappy so there were no two alike. so I am always on the lookout for those small bits! I used to use 3/4" only when I made the small billfolds I use to make.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
bj

Originally Posted by bj

Couldn't resist teasing!! But what is small to most is big to me! I am a miniaturist after all. I made a one patch small quilt one time with all 3/4" squares and all scrappy so there were no two alike. so I am always on the lookout for those small bits! I used to use 3/4" only when I made the small billfolds I use to make.
PM me your address, I'll be glad to send you my bits and pieces. I do not have the skill or dexterity to do bitty bits. I'd be bald soon if I tried. 1.5" is almost too small. JK. :D :D
Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

My scrap is not measured in yardage. My scrap is left-over pieces larger than 1 1/2" and they are literally just irregular bits and pieces.