Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy binding >

Scrappy binding

Scrappy binding

Old 12-03-2021, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Yes, I've done a lot of them, usually (but not always) on scrappy quilts. When I have extra binding after making a quilt, it gets saved and used later for a scrappy binding.
Me, too! I have a tote bag I throw the leftover binding in so I know where to look for it when the time comes.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:12 AM

Absolutely! I keep all of the scraps from bindings in a plastic bin and when I make a scrappy quilt, it gets a scrappy binding of similar colors even if not the same fabrics. Honestly, I toss out binding strips less than about 10", I do bias binding, but I sure do have plenty to use. Most of my segments are about 12 - 15 inches finished on my scrappy binding. Works for me and I am happy with the results. Note: I don't often do scrappy binding on baby quilts because the get more rugged use and washed more often. My thoughts are with all of the seams in a scrappy binding it could make the binding less "strong". That is just my theory no proof.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:43 AM

I made several scrappy bindings on the quilts I made for Project Linus. They helped add a bright cheerful note to the quilts.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:16 AM

Oh yes, for sure. When making scrappy quilts I try to find uses for every bit of scrap of decent size. Even add orphan blocks or cut-offs along the border or on the backside if I'm having to piece it. I feel the back should look as nice as the front side.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:39 AM

I do a lot of scrappy bindings, some in a wide variety of colors and some with just scraps of one color. I also sometimes find ugly stripped fabric on clearance scale and if it is the right colors, I snatch it up to make binding out of it. I love using stripes and plaids to make bindings. They add a bit of zing to a quilt.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:12 AM

I too love scrappy bindings. But then I do a lot of scrappy quilts. I just can't waste any fabrics. Scrappy bindings are especially great on string quilts. Have fun with your scrappy bindings. Your quilts will love you for this touch of color to the finishes.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:01 AM

I have been starting to use scrappy bindings on quilts. Began with my Entangled Sky quilt by Krista Moser using up the leftover fabric from the quilt and am planning on doing same on other quilts in the future. I have begun saving my leftover binding strips to use on other quilts when I can. Krista has a post on her blog page showing how she makes scrappy bindings https://www.kristamoser.com/post/no-...hind-binding-1.
Attached Thumbnails entangled-sky-.jpg  
Old 12-03-2021, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Wow! That's beautiful, TDN!!!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 12-03-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I do love scrappy quilts, so maybe I should change my mind about scraps!!
Old 12-03-2021, 09:17 AM

Iceblossom - I really like the diagonally striped binding strips. It looks like more planning than I'm used to putting into my scrappy bindings, but I might have to give it a go one day. Also, that Christmas project looks so festive! I've just finished a project and am trying to narrow down my choices for the next one - Christmas might have just joined the mix!

One of the things I've noticed from browsing the boards here is how there are almost as many ways to design, make, place, and attach borders and bindings are there are to make quilts! ThreeDogNight - I would never have thought of grouping then overlapping the binding colours as you did, but for me, that took your quilt above and beyond. I love it!

So much to learn here. :-) Thanks, everyone!