Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy Coin quilt advice needed >

Scrappy Coin quilt advice needed

Scrappy Coin quilt advice needed

Old 05-13-2020, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
When I measured some strip sets were a bit short ... But I'm at the trim down to 6.5 and add sashing step.... And I'm really happy so far. Very satisfying.
looking good so far
Old 05-13-2020, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
There is fabric all over my floor..

everything right now is 6.75 wide so I have wiggle room to trip down. Its amazing. You think it looks terrible until you take that picture and can see into the future....hey - maybe it isnt that bad.

I dont have any muslin so I could not foundation piece. I just went for it. Who knows what will result?
This is looking so good!! You have it just right and I can visualize your quilt as being just perfect in its design and so colorful.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:35 PM

Warning- weirdness ahead.
At some point yesterday the quilt "woke up" and tolf me its name. I was in the middle of assembling the top. And it said "I'm not scraps. I'm a Quilt of Many Colors"
And then it told me it wanted to go to the local woman's shelter.
This quilt has a feisty spirit! (It also very clearly wanted the green border) Having a quilt inspire a name is not unusual for me - but this is the first time I was outright told.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:41 AM

Isn't it nice to be able to say things like that out loud and expect that at least some of us will understand?

Sometimes I'm given very clear directions.

Quite often wedding quilts were planned and fabrics bought for them. But the tradition behind a scrap wedding or baby quilt is for a "rich and varied life" and you take the good along with the bad. (edit: that is, a scrap quilt is not made up of leftovers so much as a lot of tiny little delicacies)

It's sort of like my quilting style, pretty plain, my normal quilt names are "Purple Quilt" or "Bright Scraps" or some come up with their own names. My recent Cherry Goose project uses flying geese blocks and cherry fabrics, but the name didn't come until I went with my hubby to his bowling league night, as I was there in the background pinning blocks together, along came on Queen's Bohemian rhapsody. Where the lyrics are "Scaramouch Scaramouch can you do the fandango?" (thunderbolts and lightening very very frightening me) the voice said:

Cherry Goose! Cherry Goose! Can you pin the triangle??

and a quilt name was born!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-15-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:05 AM

you are doing here. Maybe a good idea for some of the strips I have and others that I am cutting as I sort through my fabrics as I am trying to decrease my stash.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:46 AM

Thank you so much QB community for encouraging and coming along on this ride with me.
Top is finished.
7 coin strips at 6.5 trimmed to 77" long. Sashing cut at 3". Border cut at 4.25 (my yard was just a hair short for a proper 4.5 cut)
Backing is from stash - a piece of 108 wide I picked up a year ago- black with small white ivy. Not perfect but not awful...and not shopping!
It needs quilting of course. I'm going to take a chance and see if someone would be willing to do some charity work in their longarm via a Craigslist. (Sides on the backing will be a little short). If not, I can do straight lines on the home machine.

Thank you again. Its been a very satisfying experience. I'll post again when quilting is done.
Attached Thumbnails 20200516_072741_film1.jpg   20200516_073838_film1.jpg