Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: scrappy lone star?

has anyone made a "scrappy" lone star? i was thinking i might try one. it will still be a lone star but just "scrappy"
    aunt ria

Blog Entries
    the first one i made was scrappy, you just have to pay attention to light, medium, dark placement so the rings stand out...it turned out really well and was fun...i didn't do well distinguishing between my lights/mediums they blend in but they stand out from the darks so it's ok...but large areas blend with no distinguishing rings around it.

Haven't done one yet, but sounds fun! :)

I've not made any scrappy ones but I did inherit this top from my MIL. Her sister made it at least 15 years ago it's all hand pieced.. all 8 foot by 8 foot of it.
    *dumb camera reset date*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The main feature of a lone star is that you have a graded color range. Not sure how you would get that with a scrappy. However, it would still be pretty because it is a pretty pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by dvseals
    I've not made any scrappy ones but I did inherit this top from my MIL. Her sister made it at least 15 years ago it's all hand pieced.. all 8 foot by 8 foot of it.
    *dumb camera reset date*
    8' x 8' is exactly the right size!! :lol: :lol: it's the size i try for every time.
    well, between 94 x 94 and 98 x 98.

I have a scrappy lone star that my grandmother made maybe 60 or 70 years ago. It dose not have color grading. Just a big scrappy star. Of course I think its beautiful. Grandma told me it was grandpa's favorite. I am so lucky to have it. So, yes, you can do scrappy. Mine was all hand pieced one diamond at a time.

i think i may start on one. i have so many scraps but not enough of them to make the graduating colors.

I see alot of scrappy lone stars on ebay...usually vintage ones. They look nice! I bought 2 calico jelly rolls and I will make mine with calico and black rings...can't picture that but want to try it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unfinished-Lone-...item3f02eb04e0

Here's a scrappy except for one arm of it.....