Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423474[/ATTACH]

And another one
Attached Thumbnails ufo-7-scrappy-top-oct.-2012-004.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]423474[/ATTACH]

And another one

Wow!! Both work for me too!! Beautiful!! Such great advice here!! Guess I will bite the bullet, separate light and dark and go for it!!! Lol
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM

I took part in a community quilt a couple of years ago and I offered to sew the blocks together and do the final quilting. Everyone did the same block but used any fabric they wanted. I wondered if it would look ok but when it was finished it was gorgeous. I wanted to keep it for myself. The quilt was auctioned for $750.00 and the money went to neurological research. Someday I am going to make another one just for me!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I just go nuts and see where it goes.....by the time I'm getting ready to put it together I usually have an idea what colour for sashings/bindings - makes the whole thing a bit of an adventure.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM

I just came across this scrap quilt on Pinterest. The blocks are all houses in different colors with a sashing that pulls them together. If the page doesn't translate, copy the URL into translate.google.come and you will have it in English.
http://buildinghousesfromscraps.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
Most times scrappies don't have a color scheme. Here is one I am working on. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t224562.html It has so many different materials I am having trouble choosing what color border to put on it. They were scraps that I cut into strips, sewed together, cut into squares and cut them from corner to corner. I have also seen them where you take scraps as they are shaped and sew them onto a piece of backing material and they remain in the shape they are in and just placed randomly. I think you will be able to make something great out of just little pieces. Many times when making a quilt, I take the little pieces that are cut off and sew them together to make four inch blocks that I have put into a container. One day I will sew them together to make a quilt. I call it "Making More Material". LOL
That's a beautiful SCRAPPY quilt.

I think one important thing is to have a strong geometrical element, like the diaganol lines through your quilt. Another is to rely on value to make the pattern.

There's a new type of scrappy shown in Jean Wells Kenan's book.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 AM

I say go to scrappy mystery train here on the board. Check out what all of us did using scraps, not knowing what the end result would be. Oodles of quilts that are all different. Scrappy is grand but some themes work better together. No neons with country plaids stuff like that.. I found throwing it all in a bag and grabbing it out gave me heart trouble. I did not like random use anything scrappy. I do like similar color tones. All blues cranberries greens fine. No bright yellows and as said before trucks thrown in. Its up to the quilter. The binding and sashing if you chose do play well into making a harmonious quilt. another great trick is to say throw a blender square or such in each block of the same color tones. I did one with a green or a blue blender in each 9 patch. It tied it all together and also used that blender as my border. 9 fabrics each block, one the same.. unity
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 AM

I was once told that once you get 20 colors in a quilt they all go together. The pattern I made d's wedding quilt from was scrappy but her quilt isn't. I had a definite look in mind for hers. My Civil War sampler though is scrappy. I picked fabric for each block without a thought as to what the others had in them. A light sashing pulled them all together.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joyce29 View Post
I just came across this scrap quilt on Pinterest. The blocks are all houses in different colors with a sashing that pulls them together. If the page doesn't translate, copy the URL into translate.google.come and you will have it in English.
http://buildinghousesfromscraps.blogspot.com/
These are some fabulous quilts and the stamp that transfers the pattern to the fabrics so cool. I have never seen this before. Thanks for the link.
peace
Old 07-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Barbk

I've made 5 Scrap quilts. Four were twin size made following instructions in the book, Log Cabin Quilts with Attitude. You can use any size or shape for the center (square, rectangle, etc.). Then add any size strips to build the blocks. They don't have to be rectangles. They can be cut on the diagonal. When the block is larger than the size you want, you cut it into a square, but you angle the square ruler so they've got "attitude". You cut half of them slanted one way & the other half slanted the other way. Very easy since they all end up the perfect size. Put them together alternating the want they're slanted. It's really fun. I used fabric I've had for years. When my daughter & 2 granddaughters saw them they cried & wanted one. There were fabrics from clothes made for all of them.

The 5th one was a full size crazy quilt paper pieced block. I think the pattern was in the same book. I made 113 blocks. Very time consuming. I worked on it off & on for 2 years. I could use some really small pieces in the center part.

Some blocks I color coordinated, but I like the mixed colors & fabrics the best.

On a Fons & Porter Show, Marianne said if you use blue sashing, it's a blue quilt. So if you want to have a certain color, choose that for the sashing.