Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Question??

Blog Entries

Scrappy Question??

Is it the color of the sashes and borders that pull a scrap quilt together ?. So many scrap quilts have a definite color scheme--are they really scraps? My scraps are from several quilts and don't necessarily go together! I'm having a hard time-- Pulling it all together. I don't have enough scraps from one quilt to make a color coordinated scrap quilt but I have a lot of scraps!

Blog Entries
    I divide my scraps into three piles manly, womanly and childlike and then I have 3 different scrappy quilts to make. There is no real color scheme but rather a collection of what goes together. That way I don't end up with something too feminine in a quilt to be presented to a man. I hope that makes sense to you Happy sewing.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

For some reason scrap quilts look good even if they aren't "color coordinated" . The more the merrier. Lights, darks, brights, subdued, whatever. just go for it. When done with your blocks or strips combine with a sashing, strips or blocks of a neutral to give the eye a place to rest. Check out the scrappy quilt show here on the QB to get some ideas. Have fun.

I agree with kateyb, scrap quilts look good without being color co-ordinated. Not to say they can't be, either. It often depends on what scraps a person has! The sky is the limit when it comes to arranging fabrics for scrappies. Love to do it! Enjoy your creating!
    jillnjo

So true what ever scraps you have, just go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    I agree with kateyb, scrap quilts look good without being color co-ordinated. Not to say they can't be, either. It often depends on what scraps a person has! The sky is the limit when it comes to arranging fabrics for scrappies. Love to do it! Enjoy your creating!
    Exactly! If the pieces are small enough, they all get along.

The whole idea of 'scrappy' is loads of color, texture and patterns -- they all work together. I will lean heavily on certain colors, patterns, etc, depending on the recipient. My 2 DGD's love different colors - so one got her favorite pink (about 65% of it was pinks and others thrown in for interest) and the other got her favorite purple. DGS got 'boy' colors, prints, etc. That's the only thing I do different. If I know there is a preference or an interest in something, I use lots more fabrics of that type. The borders pull it all together -- DGD's had pink or purple borders which really brought out that color in the quilt. DGS had checkered flag fabric, which was perfect with his quilt as he has a lot of black in his quilt. The color you use in the border is what is brought out in the quilt top itself.

I divide my scraps by lights, mediums, and darks. It works. Though sometimes I do a bit of editing because I feel a particular fabric is out of place,
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

The last scrap quilt I made had some rules - I pulled out any fabric that was less than a fat 8th or cut too weird to do much with or was just plain ugly and I didn't know what I would do with it. This string quilt had flame fabric, flower fabric, civil war fabric, batiks, brights, you name it. It turned out really good. I think the key is having lights, mediums and darks.

So far with my scrappies I try to use a fabric for the sashes and borders. I have done controlled scrappy and just scrappy, when it the blocks.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I divide my scraps by theme. I know that my pastel Kaufmann roses will not go with a scrap of royal blue with part of a red fire truck on it. I tried it - just does not work.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I'm having the same problem as you. When I look at others' scrappy quilts, they always look so planned out or color coordinated. I did one years ago, but I planned out where each color went and they weren't really "scraps." I've just started a new scrappy quilt using a nine patch. I wanted to do one where all the patches were different and didn't want to bother with cutting squares. So I bought several charm packs, but most of them have duplicates so I've given up all them all being different. So these aren't really "scraps" either, just new store bought fabric. I guess I don't quilt enough to actually have enough scraps of my own. So far, the block don't really look like they go together, and I'm thinking about sashing and border for it to try and tie it all together. I love the look of scrappy quilts and envy those who have made such beautiful ones.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I divide my scraps by theme. I know that my pastel Kaufmann roses will not go with a scrap of royal blue with part of a red fire truck on it. I tried it - just does not work.
    Lol!! Part of my problem!! Lately I've just been cutting it ino cir cles. And making hexies!! Those I throw in a bad nd maybe one dy I wii sew them together!

Blog Entries
    I think sashings or borders does pull a scrappy together. If you lay a scrappy down flat, you will most always find a predominating color in it. And that color alone will keep a scrappy together. [I think,ha].

There are a whole lot of scrappy patterns and ways to do scrappy. I did one scrappy that only had two colors, reds and neutrals. It was just stunning. It really wasn't a scrappy pattern either. There were at least 20 reds and around 35 tone on tone white to ivory neutrals.

I did two string quilts where I pieced on newspaper and made half the blocks all light and half all dark and then cut them in half on the diagonal and put the halves together with the strings running opposite directions. They didn't have any sashing at all. They turned out really cool and I just used whatever I pulled from the pile of strings. I pieced them on the newspaper so they would still be stable when I cut them in half.

I did two scrappy log cabins and just sorted into light and dark and pulled from paper bags. The rule was I had to use whatever came out of the bag unless it was already in the block. There were some truly ugly fabrics and some fabric combinations that clashed pretty violently in those quilts. They turned out just cool though.

I have one scrappy pattern that I use to make the girl's quilts. It's just square in a square blocks with black sashing and solid cornerstones. I put all sorts of wild and crazy combinations together in the blocks and by the time they're done they're just gorgeous.

There's a thread titled something like "scrappy quilt show" on the board in pictures I think, it'll give you tons and tons of ideas.

Blog Entries
    okay, this is what I do
    use everything I have include black & whites or a solid color to bring everything together. Some how it all works. Just for fun I Google how to make a scrappy quilt. See you all next week there is so much to look at.....
    Last edited by tatavw01; 07-09-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Most times scrappies don't have a color scheme. Here is one I am working on. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t224562.html It has so many different materials I am having trouble choosing what color border to put on it. They were scraps that I cut into strips, sewed together, cut into squares and cut them from corner to corner. I have also seen them where you take scraps as they are shaped and sew them onto a piece of backing material and they remain in the shape they are in and just placed randomly. I think you will be able to make something great out of just little pieces. Many times when making a quilt, I take the little pieces that are cut off and sew them together to make four inch blocks that I have put into a container. One day I will sew them together to make a quilt. I call it "Making More Material". LOL

If anyone knows of a person who wants to quilt and has no fabric or "REALLY" needs scraps please let me know as I have too many scraps and want to part with some. Can't bare to throw away good fabric -never could . My scrap bags aren't that big but it's getting to the point it bothers me. I have lots of other projects to do anyway. Even have a pkg of green print hst in a bag.

I think it is amazing how the most unlikely of scraps can end up looking fabulous when they are all sewn together. When I did my fading charms quilt in my avatar I started out by pairing like colors together and then along the way these like colors got matched with everything else and it turned out great. Sometimes the sashing and borders will help to pull it all together as the white in the fading charms does. I love looking at all the squares in this quilt and seeing what catches my eye.

I think you are correct in thinking it is the sashing, corner stones and borders that give cohesiveness to some scrappy quilts.

I know that was the case with the mystery train ride scrappy on this board that I did. My squares were all different colors, styles and vintages of fabrics. I chose a single rather neutral fabric for the sashing and a particular dark background calico for the "stars". Then as I added borders the first was a color that complemented the stars and the intended room. The second border I did piano key of many of the fabrics in the squares as well as a few additional fabrics. For the final border I'm wanting to do another dark background calico. Thought I had one that would work, but it has more pink than orange so not sure it will look like I want it to. Although there is quite a bit of pink in the squares, I'm wanting it to come out more gender neutral as it is for my guest bedroom and my boys (or my girl either) aren't really into pink flowers.

Anything goes, up to a point. Quite often when I get the blocks made but before I sew them together there will be one fabric that sticks out like a sore thumb and just has to be yanked. Another alternative when that happens is to add more of it in different places around the top. I like a border with lots of different fabrics in it, too. There's a book that I find helpful, Nickel Quilts & Borders: 7 Quilts & 260 Borders from 5-Inch Squares by Pat Speth and Roxie Speth.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
    Is it the color of the sashes and borders that pull a scrap quilt together ?. So many scrap quilts have a definite color scheme--are they really scraps? My scraps are from several quilts and don't necessarily go together! I'm having a hard time-- Pulling it all together. I don't have enough scraps from one quilt to make a color coordinated scrap quilt but I have a lot of scraps!
    Go to Quiltville.com and find some of the most gorgeous scrappys ever made. Bonnie does many scrappy quilts in same colors. I did two green scrappys that everyone just loved. String blocks is where you can really do your scrappy thing. There is a gorgeous scrappy string block at quiltinggallery.com called the herringbone block. Very cool. Bonnie also does scrappy neutral string blocks she adds to her blocks in her patterns. I, also think the neutrals in your scrappy blocks, plus never lose sight of the color values - light, med, and darks are what make scrappys sing.
    Judi in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
    I will be watching the replies on this. I've often wondered about this myself. Thanks for asking.

I make only scrappy quilts because I like to play with regardless of the size.color.The one thing I do is to stay with the same background fabric in the quilt.I have found that when I used to use various background fabrics the overall look was not as good as when I used one fabric It pulled it together.My quilts are all queen or king and are wedding quilts for my 17 grand childern.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

I was taught when making a scrap quilt to not worry about coordinating the colors. I just mix the cut pieces in a large container and pull out one at a time. However it turns out, it seems to look good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast