Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilt question >

Scrappy quilt question

Scrappy quilt question

Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 AM

I just finished a "Crazy Quilt" using some of my scraps...why is it they never seem to go away. I did a King Size and I still have a pile of scraps leftover. I just grabed and sewed all in strips not thinking abt pattern. Then I took a 6 inch sq ruler and just started to cut out sqs at all diff angles....Fast and easy and great way to rid yourself of most of your scraps. With all the embellishments that draws your eye away from the Crazy fabrics...
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM

I use my small scraps to make little quilts for dogs and cats at the rescue shelter. It's a good way to "get over" the need to color coordinate your scraps--the pups and kitties just don't care!

This one was entered in a contest. No pins or tags on the ones that go to the animal shelter!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146751[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-146746.jpe  
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 AM

I vote for the paper bag!! Another thing to do is a charm quilt if you have enough scraps.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Making a scrappy quilt is really a hard thing to do. Gals in our quilt group could do it but my first Mile a Minute was color coordinated but have made several for soldiers and with each one it got a little easier to just keep a going rather than matching colors. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Use your tendency to Match Colors to the best advantage. I am a scrap quilter, and can appreciate the Random Selection method. But I make sure that in every small area of my quilt, (such as in a 4-Patch) I am happy with the colors. For example, pull out a DARK and three LIGHTS. Then you use your Veto Power to reject bad combinations that randomly come up: Bad Combinations (for me) are Teal with olive green, and Magenta with some orange-reds. You can Work the System to create beautiful color progressions within your design such as that difficult magenta, two pinks, then cream...
Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM

What a beautiful quilt. I like how you put it together with the lights and darks. Very, Very wonderful!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM

I think you need to remember the tips on colors -balancing lights, darks, mediums, large-medium-small prints, and have an artistic eye. I've seen a lot of scrappy quilts that just look like a mess.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
It was hard for me to just grab n sew the first four, then it got much easier! They look SO neat when done--even using the "uglies"
Uglies in a scrap quilt just makes it that much more interesting!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
I vote for the paper bag!! Another thing to do is a charm quilt if you have enough scraps.
That's what I did. I had several charm packs of cottagy florals and decided it was time to use them. I separated them, jumbled them, and tossed them into a paper bag. I picked them out 9 at a time and assembled the quilt as a series of 9-patches. I also tied this quilt rather than quilting. It was the first tied quilt for me. I love how it came out - reminds me of a quilt from times gone by.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 AM

Try seperating the med fabrics by cool and warm. It is so hard to be truely scrappy, we want to organize the colors.