Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilt question >

Scrappy quilt question

Scrappy quilt question

Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 AM

Sometimes I just shuffle pieces I've cut. For example, if I have a bunch of half-square triangle pieces, I might attach the top of one stack to the bottom of another and work thru the stacks that way.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 AM

As others have suggested go to Quiltville.com. I have made about 5 of her quilts and they are in my top 10 of favorite quilts I have made.

Try doing the Catherdal Star quilt. I was able to "control" with that one by preparing my scraps in color batches. And she uses three main fabrics in this quilt Black Red and Blue, so you don't feel so outside the box.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 AM

great idea think I will try it thanks. Love your avitar
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 AM

I had the same delima and decided to make a scrap quilt when I went to one of my 3 scrap drawers and no more sraps would fit!! What I did was took out all of my scraps and strips and started color piling them (all my pinks, all blues, etc) before I knew it I had about 20 different color coordinated piles, cut all of my scraps into strips (at least 1 1/2" wide) and started sewing them together based on color. Out of each one of my sewn together strips, I started making template triangle cuts and put them all together in a spiderweb octagon, and used white on white sashing and borders. I still had enough strips left to make a piano key border about 6" wide and and also a piano key binding about 3" wide. I ended up Totally Loving the quilt!! All is not complete yet, but all pieces are there except backing and batting. Another UFO for 2011. Hope this reply makes sense and helps you get over your scrap fear. Have a great Holiday Season!!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by hcarpanini
Sometimes it helps to use one constant fabric, be it either the light or the dark. the opposite would be your scraps.

that is what i find that helps too..i think a string quilt is a good way to make a first scrappy quilt. with one string or strip in the center..to bring it all together.
This is a beautiful scap quilt!!! Love it, the constants make it look absolutely awesome. Will have to try this one!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 AM

Funny this topic should come up right now. Just made myself do a scrappy (disappearing 9-patch w/black center block), and I have to tell you that some of the color combinations almost made me gag! It is now quilted, and I'm still in shock. It looks great. My advice: just do it and get ready for a pleasant surprise.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 AM

I made a string star our of every scrap I could find. I liked it because you can use the littlest pieces. I put it together with a yellow. You nearly need sunglasses to look at it but it is really interesting and I love it.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 AM

Most of my quilts are a scrappy crazy patch. I have used news papers for a foundation or muslin, just depends what I have on hand & what size I am doing.
It helps use up some scraps & fabric you are just not sure what to do with. The crazy patch does not have to match at seams, that is why I like them.
Jump in & use the bag method and have fun. :-)
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 AM

I'm so glad you asked this questions. I love those scrappy quilts that I see on the net, but I think I have control issues and am never able to get that look. These suggestions are a big help.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM

I love the grab and sew method of using scraps. They really make the neatest quilts - quilts that will go with any color decor. Once you have done it, it gets easier.