Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Scrappy Quilts

Blog Entries

Question Scrappy Quilts

What makes a scrappy quilt scrappy? Is there a minimum number of fabrics required to make it scrappy?
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Not at all. Any quilt which uses many different fabrics is scrappy---as opposed to a quilt which uses only a few fabrics all in the same positions in the blocks. (Right?)

Blog Entries
    Right. Think of a Tumbler quilt. Tradionally, there is only one of each fabric in the quilt.

If I made it out of my scraps, its scrappy!! Of course that means lots of fabrics.

Our quilt guild has a rule for scrappy quilts entered in our quilt show. There have to be at least 20 (or maybe it is 40....I can't remember) different fabrics before a quilt can be classified as scrappy. Has anyone else had a number attached to what makes a quilt scrappy?

Dina

I don't have a number of fabrics or a minimum. For me it where the fabrics came from.... if thy came from my scrap bin , its a scrappy. I will add that to make it into my scrap bin... generally .. the fabric piece is under 2 inches in width of fabric.

If you make every fabric in the quilt different from every other fabric (in other words, each fabric is only used once), then the quilt is called a Charm Quilt, no matter what the pattern, although they are usually all done as a One Block pattern.