Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What would you do? Pfaff 7530

What would you do? Pfaff 7530

I posted a question the other day that I am in the market for a new machine. I stated that my price range was not more than $300. I've searched online and around my town and narrowed it down to 3 I think would be good for me. Now, my husband's coworkers sister has a Pfaff 7530 for sale. It is 5 yrs old, she wants 800 for it plus shipping (she lives out of state). I've done a little research online, but I can't really find prices for a used one. The owner states a used one sells for around $1800. My hubby says go for it, but I'm more frugal (or cheap, lol) I'm a new quilter (2 yrs). I've read where some of you own one of these brands and seem pleased so I would like your help if you know anything about this brand. Please.
    What would you do? Would you jump on it

Hi mimicrystal, I just received a Pfaff 7530 that I won the bid on from Ebay. I paid about $750 including shipping. I have sewn a few blocks on this machine. It runs beautifully. I think you will like using the machine. The instruction manual is easy to read and understand. I used it the same day I received it. I think it is worth the money, if this is the machine that you really want. Good Luck with the machine you finally choose.

Blog Entries
    It's a great machine. You might want to run a "completed listings" search on eBay to see what that model has sold for there in the recent past (EvelynAnita's purchase is probably in there). You could maybe bargain the price down with printouts of eBay sales of the same model. $1800 may be what local dealerships charge for this machine, but that's an entirely different market. You might want to call around to dealerships in your area to see if they have a used version of this model and what they would ask for it, just for comparison purposes.

Be *very* careful about shipping, though. Most people do not know how to package a sewing machine properly so it is not damaged in shipment, including a lot of packaging stores. For example, the case/cover needs to be packed separately, and it's a good idea for the machine itself to be double packed (a box inside a padded box). If you pay for insurance and there is damage, it's up to you to collect from the carrier, which can be a hassle.

Thank you both for your comments. I found 2 on ebay that sold for several hundred less than what she is asking. I'm going to offer less than her asking price and if she accepts great, if not oh well. I'll get one of the other ones I was looking at and I'm sure I will be happy. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Is there any way you can confirm what condition it's in? Maybe some photos to give you an idea how well it's been maintained.

Love Pfaffs. I am still using one I bought new in 1986 and it is a workhorse. I would jump on it if it were me.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

The great thing the Pfaff machines have is the dual feed dogs: one for the lower fabric and one moves the top fabric at the same rate. That is sooo helpful for piecing accuracy. I have a Pfaff and wouldn't trade it for anything! Love it! Even if you don't get that particular machine, I recommend getting a Pfaff. Good luck and have fun shopping. Do your research and don't buy on a whim---you'll probably have to live with that purchase a long time, so make sure it's what you really want and need.

It is supposed to be a 3800.00 machine. 800.00 sounds good to me for a good used machine.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    I have an older manual Pfaff Variamatic that I wouldn't sell for the world. It would sew through two rocks if I wanted it too. I paid (ebay) about 350 seven years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    Love Pfaffs. I am still using one I bought new in 1986 and it is a workhorse. I would jump on it if it were me.

Are you kidding me? If I had the money and opportunity to buy that one I would jump on it. One thing, if I could actually drive to where the machine is I would do that. I don't put out that kind of money sight unseen. If it is in good shape Judi wouldn't want to trust it being shipped.

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff also & have never had a problem with it-Just yearly cleaning.It is over 10 years old!Love it Love it!!

Blog Entries
    Buying a used machine can save money, but consider it must be packed well for shipping and I would not consider a machine that says as is, or a machine that is missing the foot petal, bobbin case or any other major parts. Sometimes sellers on ebay state they think it is ok but can't test due to a missing part. Often this means the machine doesn't work, but they didn't lie because they said they can't test it. Read between the lines always. Grace
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Thank you everyone for your help. I would love to see the machine in person but it's in Ohio and I'm in Tx. so that is not an option. I've asked for pictures of it and I'm waiting on that. She states she's just had it cleaned and has kept that up yearly. I still don't know what I'm going to do yet. Thanks Sewbeadit for the link...I will continue to read and research everything I can. I never dreamed there were so many options when buying a sewing/quilting machine...Thanks again...I really like this board. I like not only being able to share your pictures of our quilting items, but to also be able to get help with things when we need it...

Do you have any family or friends within driving distance who could check out the machine for you and make sure all parts are there and that everything works? Alternately, there is way to send the money to a third party (a bank?) to hold in escrow until you get the machine and confirm that all's ok with it. Then the money is released to the seller. I know this can be done, because there's an explanation on craigslist. I've just never had to do it. I have bought sewing machines on eBay, but it's not necessary there because of the feedback system. Good luck to you!

Blog Entries
    LOVE LOVE LOVE all 6 of my Pfaff sewing machines!! The dule feed is really wonderful, the machines are quite and run so smoothly, no other kind really suits me near as well as a Pfaff. They are great machines!!!
    dare to dream

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have two pfaffs.. Both 7570's LOVE them..