Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine >

A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

Old 07-01-2022, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

First of all I hope you're feeling better. Summer colds are the pits!
I hear you on feeling guilty. My parents grew up during the Depression and I inherited some of their ways. I dislike wasting food and things like that.
Fabric can get overwhelming though. I get nervous when I have too much in my sewing room so I donate scraps to Good Will or a similar place. So far they take them. I really don't like scraps because when I finish a project I'm sick of the fabrics I used.
I just thought of something- a lot of people on this board like them. Maybe offer some and have them pay postage? It would work out well for both people. Just a thought.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:18 PM

I decided to go through my scraps again. Since I like to use a lot of 2.5" strips/jelly rolls, I decided to cut my scraps into 2.5" strips. Anything that is smaller than 2.5" I'll just be tossing.

The fabric that I really can't stand, is screen printed and feels like plastic, I just can't bring myself to use it. So, I'm going to put it the trade room at our local transfer (dump) station for anyone who wants it. They won't let me put in a bag of scraps (too much like trash to them), but they okayed a closed zip lock of yardage. When I bought it, I didn't realize that it was screen printed -- not labeled as such-- and purchased 8 yards of it for using it in some blocks of a pattern plus for the backing and binding. I started to use it, but quickly replaced it with a different fabric. It actually feels like a waterproof outer shower curtain fabric.

I feel better, knowing at least the majority of it will be used.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions and well wishes. Had a turn with my cold and ended up in the ER for most of the afternoon today. Had some breathing issues with bronchial spasms with all the coughing from my sore throat, but got meds and feeling and breathing much easier now! Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the holiday weekend!
Old 07-02-2022, 05:55 AM

I recently bought a floor loom. Fabric that will never be a quilt will become a rag rug.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

it come from parents who grew up in the Depression

I was raised by my grandparents for most of my childhood. During the depression they were young with three little boys. I don't remember them keeping everything or thinking better keep it we may need it one day. My grandmother hated clutter. The only thing my grandmother said about the depression era was that many people ate sardine sandwiches which were very cheap and easy to find in the store.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear! Hope your medication kicks that cold away!💊
Old 07-03-2022, 03:04 AM

I do use most of my scraps now, but in the past I have just tossed narrow strips small triangles and little snippets of this and that. I needed the mental freedom from what I did not like, what absorbed my time and what cluttered my working space. It has been a while since those days, but I now toss any thing that is less than a 2.5 " piece as I go. My choice that fits me. I know lots of you grand quilters use smaller pieces. I don't. So I don't keep them. On the other hand, I have 2.5" squares and strips by the thousands.....but I use them by the hundreds. That explains the growth in my collection. Make more quilts, make more quilts!
Quiltsfor, find you comfort level with scraps and donate or let them go according to what makes you comfortable.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:59 AM

Can they be used to stuff a pet bed for a animal shelter? There are people who make beds that may be able to use them.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:41 AM

Hi Ru,

I am making quilts for survivors of trafficking. I've been given donations of all types of scrap fabrics. Not sure where you're located but if you're anywhere near Idaho I would LOVE to take any fabric off your hands! I'm not sure how to post pictures of the quilts I've made but I have several.

They are all labeled Wrapped in Love with a pocket where the label is. I'm putting in a hand written note to each recipient. There is a safe house being built in Montana that I'm donating my first set of quilts to. I've also been making small bags for the women too, different size zippered bags for makeup etc.

Again, let me know. I'm newly retired and on a limited budget. I'll take ANY fabric pattern, yardage or scraps. And also batting, even scraps (I'm using the scraps for the zippered bags). I do prefer cotton, but if it's donated I'll take any type.

Becky G
Old 07-09-2022, 02:22 PM

A couple of years ago a new-ish, young quilter thanked the guild for our "freebie" table as without access to it she could not afford to quilt.

I would bundle up whatever doesn't work for you and donate it to the local guild freebie table! Guilds often use donated fabric to fuel whatever charity groups they run as well ie. baby quilts, Project Linus quilts, shelter quilts.