Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine >

A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

Old 06-29-2022, 12:01 PM

Red face A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

This is a whine, because I have a feeling of guilt. I need to thin out some scraps and some fabric that I don't like and know I will never use. Right now, our Goodwill is not taking any donations, and the only out side donation boxes up for other places say 'only clothes and shoes'.

I want it out of my quilting room, and I thought about giving it to churches or assisted living, or schools, but find that this isn't something that they want in my area. Then I thought about putting it on here for anyone, but I really don't want the expense of postage, and don't feel right to even ask for postage. Honestly, I feel like it is more of a hassle then a way of just saying here you go. I'm very rural and at the moment I don't drive, and this would have to be taken to the post office if I would do the 'send to someone way'.

I actually tossed some out in my trash bin (empty new bag) in my craft room, but the next morning I dug it out and put it back in the storage bins and cabinets. Ugh! It really isn't a lot, because of when planning the move, I took to Goodwill a lot of scraps. But now, there is no end in site to when Goodwill will accept donations again, and even then, they limit what they will take or not.

But it is more than I really want to throw away in the trash. It's nice fabric. Whine, whine, whine.

If you take the time to read this, please forgive, as I have a bad headcold right now and well.... I feel whiney.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:59 PM

Is there any traffic at all on the road you live on? Where I am, if folks just want something gone, the put it near the curb by the road with a FREE sign. Most of the time somebody stops and takes it. A few things hang around like a badly used mattress or huge couch but I think about 80% of the time, it is gone by evening. I probably would stop if I saw some neatly piled fabric with a sign reading FREE quilting fabric!
Old 06-29-2022, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Don't feel guilty about tossing scraps you will never use. You tried to give them a second life and that's all you can do. Believe me there are enough scraps in the the quilting world that your pile won't make any difference. That's what I was told when I fretted about tossing my scraps no one wanted or needed and I felt stuck with them.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:02 PM

quilt stores can help you with Quilt Guild names and other quilters too maybe. Churches may also help. Just call and ask. so many out there cannot stand waste and can use up anything. good luck.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Maybe if you have an Amazon box, you can pack it full, leave it out on your front doorstep and hope someone steals your package? Yes, I am joking as I thought you could use a smile.😂
Old 06-29-2022, 01:51 PM

We have a "free" local group (actually 2) on FB - or you could offer it for free on FB Marketplace. I bet someone would love it!
Old 06-29-2022, 02:09 PM

I'm looking at a lot of strips in my box right now. Time for a string quilt!

I honestly don't feel bad about tossing scraps. I keep what I think are useable and toss what I don't want. As Onebyone said there are plenty of scraps to go around. Tossing some won't deprive you or anyone else.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:20 PM

A saying by a friend who made community quilts for our Guild. "Put it where it needs to go." If it's the trash, so be it. If there is a Guild near you, there is probably a free or donation table. The fabric is your's to do what you want to with it. No one will ever know.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:30 PM

I am afraid I’m like you, I can’t ‘waste’ whether it fabrics, food, anything, I cannot stand waste. I wish I was closer so I could run pick it up. I hope you feel better soon and decide then to put it into good use.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:19 PM

We have Freecycle sites around here where you offer whatever you've got and people come pick it up off of your porch/driveway/wherever. If you have FB Marketplace, you could also offer it there.
Or, you could just toss it. You tried to find it a home.It's yours and you paid for it. Do whatever you want with it.

Watson