Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps >

Scraps

Scraps

Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Anything bigger than 2 inches goes into my scrap bin. Anything smaller goes into the trash.
I use the same, only I use 1.5" strips and squares...so anything smaller than 1.5" goes into the trash. The other goes into scrap bags for use in scrap quilts either as strips, squares, or crazy strip quilts, by sewing the scraps onto cash register tape and then using it that way.

OP:
There are many uses--but bottom line--is this something you foresee doing? If not, then by all means, just offer them up in the give away section, and have people pay for the postage, or sell them.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 PM

Stuff a cushion or add to a cushion filling. I also make dog pillows. When puppies were very small they loved tug of war games with them. Someone told me to put outside for the birds in spring for nest material.wrapping in a piece of muslin they make a good cleaner not duster.
As you can guess I hate scrappy quilts so try to make a use for the larger pieces. I do burn as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 PM

Stuff a cushion or add to a cushion filling. I also make dog pillows. When puppies were very small they loved tug of war games with them. Someone told me to put outside for the birds in spring for nest material.wrapping in a piece of muslin they make a good cleaner not duster.
As you can guess I hate scrappy quilts so try to make a use for the larger pieces. I do burn as well.
A person i know collects our scraps when at a class for someone who likes to unthread( no idea why) .

Ps I use the selvedge to tie plants etc.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 AM

As I can't throw away anything I make new fabric out of all the tiny stripes like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]440036[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]440037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]440038[/ATTACH]

And then I make some little bags out of the "new" stuff or placemats or other things...
Attached Thumbnails img_0366.jpg   img_0365.jpg   img_0445.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 AM
Power Poster

if you are sure you will not do anything with them- pass them on. there are many members here on the board who will pay the postage to receive a box of scraps from you- there is also the local guild, the senior center, and numerous other places to donate your scraps. lots of people use scraps to quilt- and make fabulous quilts! scraps can easily 'overwhelm' (they multiply like bunnies sometimes) if just left to stack up- accumulate; but if you pass them on someone will make very good use of them. (if it's here you want to share them go to the classifieds, the offers, and post an offer- you will receive responses quickly- I usually stuff a flat rate postal box to share scraps)
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

such a shame you 'choose' to fill the landfill with your scraps instead of passing them on- people use those smaller pieces to stuff pet beds for local shelters, make postage stamp or confetti quilts- lots of uses- the shelter workers are always looking for the tiny pieces ...
Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I use the same, only I use 1.5" strips and squares...so anything smaller than 1.5" goes into the trash. The other goes into scrap bags for use in scrap quilts either as strips, squares, or crazy strip quilts, by sewing the scraps onto cash register tape and then using it that way.

OP:
There are many uses--but bottom line--is this something you foresee doing? If not, then by all means, just offer them up in the give away section, and have people pay for the postage, or sell them.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:29 AM

[I too find it almost impossible to throw away small scraps,I use lots of them to use on home made cards, xQUOTE=SharonTheriault;6334474]Okay, you're through with your quilt... it's all done, but there is this pile of scraps from the quilt. It's not fabric you will use again, mainly because there aren't any pieces big enough to do anything with them. What do you do with those scraps? I have little stacks from this quilt or that one and nothing to do with them. I don't have enough space to keep scraps AND my projects and stash.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

​Anything bigger than 2 inches goes into my scrap bin. Anything smaller goes into the trash.
I do the same.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 AM

You could send them to me..I use scraps as small as 1". Seriously, look around for a quilting group or some group that makes quilts or comforts for the homeless and needy. I belong to a missionary group that uses all scraps to make quilts for nursing homes, fire departments, ects.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

It is really hard to make anything with strips smaller than 2" but I use some of the 1" scraps for when piecing. You use it to start and end your stitching. Then after they are full of thread, I just toss them out.