Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps... >

Scraps...

Scraps...

Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 AM

Mine are untamed, too. I should probably just give them all away. There would soon be more.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I think I have far more yardage in scraps than I do in pieces of a yard and more, even though that is considerable. The scraps take up more space in my quilting room, and in my mind. At my old guild there was a "free" table, and the wiser ladies brought in the leftovers from each project and left them for us dummies to pick up. At the time I didn't understand why they wanted no scraps around, but now I get it. Of course I'm still accumulating scraps.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:48 AM

Default Answer to scrap problem

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think I have far more yardage in scraps than I do in pieces of a yard and more, even though that is considerable. The scraps take up more space in my quilting room, and in my mind. At my old guild there was a "free" table, and the wiser ladies brought in the leftovers from each project and left them for us dummies to pick up. At the time I didn't understand why they wanted no scraps around, but now I get it. Of course I'm still accumulating scraps.
There is an easy answer. Just take the time to separate all of your scraps into a pile of the males and a pile of the females. then, don't let them get together. Unfortunately, I have never been able to tell the difference, so my scrap bins, yes binS. are out of control also.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:12 AM

I cut my scraps into 5, 6 and 6 1/2 squares to make disappearing nine patch tops. A lot of 2 1/2 inch strips for scrappy jelly roll tops and the rest into strings for string blocks. I make pet pillows out of pieces I can't use. But everyone is right, the scraps just multiply.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I give mine to a lady in our church who cannot afford to buy much fabric.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 AM

I need to have my scraps neutered.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
I need to have my scraps neutered.
I was just thinking of Planned Parenthood for Scraps!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Keep making those scrappy quilts and only buy to fill in or buy a large piece backing, I know its hard because they scream "orgy" when the lid snaps on.
This made me laugh!
Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6 View Post
How do you keep your scraps tamed?
I donate most of them to my guild -- or make flannel board clothes for my niece to play with. I bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter & she just thinks it's the best thing ever that each time she comes to visit Auntie, she leaves with a couple new outfits for her imaginary dollies (for real, maybe I should make her flannel people one of these days -- but that would involve going to fabric store & we all know will happen if I end up there! )
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
At least you were smart about it and have scraps left from other quilts. When I started to quilt I loved scrappy's so I went out and BOUGHT scraps. Which now, looking back, was stupid. I should have started with a quilt or two and made scrappies AFTER. Oh well.....I am trying to get into the challenge of finding fun patterns for the same materials so they all look different. That is the biggest or hardest part for me. After a while I just want to start on something new and not look at "oh....THAT fabric" again. Live and learn for me!
When I'm trying to use up my scraps, and the "oh... THAT fabric again" comes up, I deliberately look for enough of "THAT fabric" to try to use as the backing, just so I can get rid of it. There comes a point when I'm SICK of seeing it - but that OCD in me won't let me just throw it away.
If I really, REALLY hate it, it becomes the backing for kennel quilts. Just to get rid of it.