Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps... >

Scraps...

Scraps...

Old 07-29-2016, 05:01 AM

Sad to say, I have not figured out a really efficient way to tame the ever elusive scrap bin. Honestly, I am so tired of making scrappy quilts that from time to time I consider just give them all away. I have not gone out to shop for a specific fabric for a specific quilt in years. Admittedly, I do pick up fabric bargains and have a good stash but the scrap bin wears me out. Oh, boo-hoo! Whine, whine, whine. I really am blessed to have so many scraps that can be made into beautiful quilts.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:17 AM

I do have boxes organized by color for mine (now if I just didn't get frustrated with them and cram them into the first box I see :-( ) but they just keep growing and its just easier to me to use fabric I see on the shelf rather than dig thru a box. Sigh...my friend makes really good scrap quilts but she has boxes and boxes and boxes of scraps and I don't think she would be my friend if i gave her mine!
Old 07-29-2016, 05:53 AM

I went back and began reading all of the posts to this thread. Woodstock!!! One thing that I have done in the past year is that immediately after cutting pieces for a quilt, I cut the remainders, scraps into standardized "pre-cuts". This is particularly useful when trimming and squaring up the quilt just before the binding go on. I cut off that excess backing and cut it into usually 2.5 strips or 2.5 squares. this often gives me 10 - 12 squares of the same fabric. This seems to neuter the little things and they stay under control. I make 4 or 5 quilts per year using 2.5 squares and having so many on hand helps.

I also am liking the post about just donating the scraps when they get to a certain amount. Why am I keeping all of this when someone else could use them? This is thought worth considering. Ah, a deep breath of fresh air!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM

I love to read how efficient each one of you quilters are with your scraps. I quilt for a charity only. They give me scraps to work with. Sometimes I receive a panel--like a book panel. Or just a piece of fabric with one main animal or theme, like a dinosaur or one care bear. Ladies, take one or even several of these printed scraps, put them up on your display board. Now sew up some scraps in a clever pattern and fill in around the main theme of the quilt.
Use print fabric scraps and plain ones. In fact, you can call it a conversation style quilt. You will use up your scraps slowly, but use them up! I sometimes use some orphan blocks to "fill in" an area. It truly is a "unique" way to quilt and help a charity, and use up your scraps that you feel are a burden. Try it.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 AM

I am lucky to sew with a small group of ladies that love scraps, so I don't have them taking up all my space in my small sewing area. They really do make great comfort quilts to donate to different groups in my city.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM
mac

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
At least you were smart about it and have scraps left from other quilts. When I started to quilt I loved scrappy's so I went out and BOUGHT scraps. Which now, looking back, was stupid. I should have started with a quilt or two and made scrappies AFTER. Oh well.....I am trying to get into the challenge of finding fun patterns for the same materials so they all look different. That is the biggest or hardest part for me. After a while I just want to start on something new and not look at "oh....THAT fabric" again. Live and learn for me!
LOL, when I first started quilting I wanted to do a storm at sea quilt (all scrappy), I too went out and bought scraps to make it. Since I was still a beginner and storm at sea is more of an advanced quilt pattern, none of my blocks matched up, I had missed all of the points on the blocks and it was a mess. I ended up putting the sorry looking blocks that I did in the scrap box with all of the scraps and BOOM, there started an orgy that has yet to stop. No matter what I do there are always scraps.

At our guild quilt show one year I sold 12 big plastic garbage bags of scraps for 50 cents each. I can imagine what a population boom I started and I bet they are still multiplying.

P.S. Every once in a while I come across those storm at sea blocks and I have a good laugh. But it does make me realize how far I have come in my quilting abilities.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I don't. I have been cutting 1.5", 2" and 2.5" strips this year, and thought I was mostly caught up from 3 years of neglecting my scraps. Then, my sister just came over in July, and she sorted out a lot of fabric. I now have a rather large box and a very large trash bag filled to the top to cut into strips. I'll be working on that in August.

Scraps are a challenge..that is for sure. Here is a top I recently finished which I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I wish I could say the same about every scrappy quilt I've ever made.

It used quite a few scraps which I cut into 2" strips and then made 16 patches from. I've named it Confetti.
Love this scrappy...don't sell yourself short, JFI, I so enjoy the pieces you have created in the past and this one is a winner.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:11 AM

justflyingin - I love your quilt!
Yesterday I had lunch with a friend at a sandwich shop near the library and because I was a bit early I pursued some quilting books at the library. Since i'm also needing to tame my scraps, I checked out a book called Cut the Scraps! 7 Steps to Quilting You Way through Your Stash by Joan Ford. I haven't read all of it yet, but it's motivating me to get into those drawers and organizing. She has some pretty patterns I'd like to try.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Love that quilt, justflyingin. <3<3<3
Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 AM

I love to make Sampler quilts and all you need is a piece of this and a piece of that. I am in the process of making a sampler now and one of the blocks is "Depression Block") It has 36 pieces and that uses up a lot of little pieces. Oh yah, I got it from quilterscache.com and it is a 12" block. I am also doing Log Cabin - also from quilters cache and that is 20 pieces. I am doing this quilt in all solids, so I am matching blends of colors rather than the pink rose matches the white daisies. And the 21st piece is the red square in the middle. It really is neat. I am going with the red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet and bright colors in the lower left and then pastels on the upper right! I have the colors all picked out. Never did a quilt in all solids. An Amish Sampler (so to speak). There is a lot you can do with your bits and pieces. I give some of my leftovers to my sisters and when I go over to her house I can see pieces of this or that in a crazy quilt designed valances she has in her home. Not to mention her table cloth.
I won't get rid of anything unless it is just to small to sew. Enjoy. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 07-30-2016 at 04:04 AM.