Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps... >

Scraps...

Scraps...

Old 07-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Are you are in a guild or sewing group? We bring scraps, projects started but not finished, anything we don't want. Put them on a table, and members and guests can take what they want. That helps a LOT. Also, trade scraps, blocks, ect, with friends; make community quilts, doll quilts, ect, for the community.I didn't know when I joined guild, but the police station, fire dept. ect, don't have many days or nights go by but what at least one child is dropped off, because the parents don't want them any more. Imagine!! At least if they have a quilt that someone has made for them, they have something to hang onto until they can be put in foster care, ect. What sad situation!!
Mariah
Old 07-30-2016, 07:53 AM

I sold a bunch of bags of scraps on Craigslist about a year ago. A lady came that was just starting to sew & she just loved it. I sold them really cheap & also gave away a bunch to the same people that bought some. I still have a lot though that I need to do something with. Like everyone says, they multiply so fast that it is hard to get a hold on them. Somewhere along the way I read to cut them in strips no matter how long the scrap is, & sew them end to end. You then can make strip sets or HST or whatever from them. I just haven't done it yet. I started to but ...............!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

A scrap quilt just came into the LQS to be quilted...it was long strips of various widths placed vertically across the quilt...and of course various lengths of fabric in each strip, then about a 4" border around it....can't remember the size, but about 60 x 80..
Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
I sold a bunch of bags of scraps on Craigslist about a year ago. A lady came that was just starting to sew & she just loved it. I sold them really cheap & also gave away a bunch to the same people that bought some. I still have a lot though that I need to do something with. Like everyone says, they multiply so fast that it is hard to get a hold on them. Somewhere along the way I read to cut them in strips no matter how long the scrap is, & sew them end to end. You then can make strip sets or HST or whatever from them. I just haven't done it yet. I started to but ...............!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:49 AM

My scraps not only multiply but they have invited friends over!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
My scraps not only multiply but they have invited friends over!
I hope they play nice with each other.....
Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 AM

I just finished one panel for a bag using scraps..I used a twin 100 percent sheet (new but got at goodwill for 2.00)cut out 22 x18 then layered it with scrap batting pieces, then I layered ona bunch of scraps...all small pieces some long 2 inch strips..then I covered it with a piece of white scrap piece (next time I will use a color piece) then put on a 22x18 piece of the twin sheet scrap. I sewed them about an inch a part all down then across...it looked awesome...but then I cut each inside each square, you can do it any way...I choose to cut in an x...sometimes I just used the seam ripper and other times my scissors. I only had my shears..best to use a small pair of very sharp scissors. I just put it in the washer/light load so it will frey. I still need to make another one for the other side of the bag. Great way to use small left over pieces. once done I will post a picture.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Here is an example of the technique...I do it a bit different but same idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaPsMLE2FQ8
Old 07-30-2016, 01:18 PM

That's a cool technique carolaug, thanks for sharing it.

Love the confetti quilt!

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-31-2016, 06:01 AM

I too went out and bought scraps and bought people's stashes when I first started quilting. What a huge mistake. I now have 14 large tubs of scraps. That's after I went through and donated a bunch of them.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:04 AM

How funny!