Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scraps, where do I begin to organize

Your helpers (?) make me miss my two. They were sisters born a litter apart, one black and one yellow. I lost both of them about 12 years ago and still miss them.

I just reorganized my sewing room and went through my scrap baskets yesterday. I was so overwhelmed, that I finally threw most of them in the trash after deciding I would never make all the quilts that I had planned. I had given away much of it before and thought about it again, but postage has become too prohibitive .

Yes, the smaller pieces of fabric are the hardest to keep organized. My piles seem to be always leaning one way or the other. I try and keep them in color piles. And as you can see, if I leave the door to the cabinet open by mistake...My helper arrives!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

i went and got a shoe organizer and started to cut strips in inch and half to four and half and put them in the shoe organizer then when i need a two inch strip or a three inch strip its there

I am chair of the guild's community quilt project. When I got all the fabrics I started sorting on the living room floor and furniture. (I don't have any pets - travel to much). Larger pieces were sorted by color. Smaller pieces also by color in zip bags but in a separate container for scrap quilts. I have them in clear totes (not to big they get to heavy) to be able to see what is in them.
    This makes it easier for me to put kits together for the ladies to take home.

I take a few at a time, cut into squares or strips. that way i dont get too overwhelmed. work for me. in the summer i take them out to the picnic table. this way i can enjoy the lake too

Thanks for all the posts, I have the same organizing issue. What is a crumb quilt? Maybe I'll get motivated to do what I should have done a long time ago.

LOL Look Mom I found one! Here's another. No, I like this one best.

Close your eyes, grab a strip. Those furkids are asking for a blanket!!

Blog Entries
    I would iron everything first and make into fat quarters or less. There are many people who use scraps for charity quilts if you like to share

I've spent the last 4 days going thru my scraps and cutting them into blocks for scrappy quilts. Now when I"m ready, I and can start sewing.

I have recently discovered 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc bags. They are great for storing fabric, quilt blocks, notions, etc. Another idea is to spend some time cutting your scraps into more usable items such as strips (2 inch or 2.5 are good sizes to use) or squares of sizes that you can later use. I have created containers for strips of various sizes and squares of like sizes. Someday I will have enough collected to do a quilt. I can also look in the container when I need a strip or square of a certain size. When I am cutting for a quilt, I try to cut my scraps into these sizes that can later be used.

oh my.. that second picture is so funny :D

I have the same problem with Kitties.

definetly go to quiltville.com.... Bonnie is wonderful with scraps, how to sort them & lots of patterns.. she is a wonderful teacher if your guild ever gets her to teach a class.....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I store scraps I cut into the biggest sizes in my "lumberyard" drawers. 2x2, 4 x 4,1 x 4, 4 x 8,12 x 12 etc. Those wonderful stacking drawers you can buy at Big lots. When the drawers get full, I put them in a baggie and offer them on here to those who need them. And then the selvedges, smaller pieces and odd shapes go into baggies to give away on here too. Where there's a will, there's a quilter's way. :)

Power Poster
    Good luck organizing your scraps. To me it's a lot harder to do that than yardage.

You are lucky you have help.

That sounds like me...put them in a tote and worry about them later. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Ive got the perfect organizational solution!!! Send them to me.. !! hee hee...

I too use bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com

LOL I think your doggies have the right idea. Make dog beds and stuff the scraps into it.

i wanted some midsize scraps sorted by color, so i asked my dgd if she wanted to help... she was just learning her colors... she would do it for 15 min or so at a time...

it took a couple weeks of scraps on the floor in the corner of my studio... but they got done... when she finshed i took just her to mcdonald's while dh watched dgs.. cheapest labor ever!

Blog Entries
    I cut my scraps immediately after binding the quilt so I don't get a big bag of scraps...way too frightening for me! My scraps are cut into the following sizes to be used in scrap quilts:
    5x5, 2.5 x 2.5, 2.5 x 4.5 and 2.5" strips.
    These are commonly used sizes in scrap quilt patterns. I keep the different sizes in plastic containers, and keep one container just for baby and one just for Christmas.

I am trying really hard to organize my scraps too. I could just scream, but I am going to keep plugging away till I have it all done. I have all the bigger pieces folded and almost in color order, but it is all the small pieces of fabric that is overwelming. But it must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcquiltnut
    I just did this last week. I sorted colors then put them in zipper bags. Then put them in a tote.
    BTW, I think I have some of the same fabric....LOL...

Good to hear I'm not the only one that looks at stash photos from people on the board, to deterine if I have some of the same fabrics!

I AM DOING THE SAME THING Except I am throwing them in the washer and dryer pressing all the pieces and using as I go to make scrappy quilts. Either strip or blocks depending on how small the scrapes are. That way I am not just storing them again and have to do it again. I plan to use them all up so I can get new fabrics to make more quilts.I do not have a storage area to have so much savings. But I do not just want a stash I want to use what I have so they do not just go in the dumpster when I am no longer able to quilt.
    JeanneZ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast