Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Screwdriver? >

Screwdriver?

Screwdriver?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 AM

..again...I wonder how many women who sew are involved in the design of sewing machines...bet we can count them on one hand! I am right handed and I wrestle with putting on the walking foot of three of my machines....hold the foot, then try to tightened that screw with left hand...tricky!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 AM

FYI, sent another message to BL. They replied that creative notions has a screwdriver that I can order or have my dealer order one that is made for the new destiny machine. Hm, maybe I will email them and ask them to send me one for free.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 AM

I want some genius engineer to invent a screwless plate! I can snap my feet on, why can't I somehow snap/latch my plate on? There has GOT to be a way to make that a reality. Even the old school slide-on plate like old Singers have seems like a better solution than screws.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:54 PM

My vintage Viking has a plate that snaps on and off as done my new Janome. They make them and have for years but apparently not all machines have them.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM

I have the same thing with my BL Elizabeth and with the BLCrescendo....I have lots of screw drivers, but like everyone says [my hands are too large also] it's the angle of the stupid thing. I have found one that works and I don't tighten the screws down, just snug so they are easier to remove.

A thought: Maybe put a piece of that rubberized shelf linner on that 'stupid thing' BL came out with so you will have something to hold on to.......I might have to give it a try........let you know if I have success.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:37 PM

I have the Crescendo sewing machine and agree with Lafpeaches the round thing they call a screw driver is useless. I bought a stubby screw driver hopping that will work better. I avoid change the throat plate and some of the feet because of the hassle.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 AM

I purchased a set of four stubby screwdrivers on eBay for $4.99 and they work great. I found them listed with the vintage sewing machines.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 AM

I had a penny laying in my tray of wonderful things and grabbed it and it worked very well. Better than that dumb thing BL provides, and cheap too.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
..again...I wonder how many women who sew are involved in the design of sewing machines...bet we can count them on one hand! I am right handed and I wrestle with putting on the walking foot of three of my machines....hold the foot, then try to tightened that screw with left hand...tricky!
I have this exact problem, hoping someone has some suggestions. I usually will quit at this point and wait until I am better natured!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:00 AM

About 10 years ago I found a wonderful man who just opened a car repair shop a few miles from my home. He had a coupon in the local paper (so with the coupon I could get new brakes and an oil change for a good price). When I went in and had the work done, as a gift to new customers he gave me a small screwdriver (had the company name and number on it - you know a promo). Well I still use the shop for my cars and I LOVE my screwdriver, because it works on ALL of my machines. Remember we are quilters, and as quilters we think outside the box!!! Try your auto parts store. This is a small screwdriver, but it has a nice handle a little longer on it (almost like a pen).