Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Screwdriver? >

Screwdriver?

Screwdriver?

Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
My vintage Viking has a plate that snaps on and off as done my new Janome. They make them and have for years but apparently not all machines have them.
That'll have to be something on the wish list, if/when I ever decide to upgrade! Seems like such a no-brainer, I wish they all did this!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 AM

Off-set screwdrivers are the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM

Boy do I agree. I have a Babylock and absolutely love the machine, until it is time to clean it out. I did that recently and tried 4 different things. The thing that works best is something the dealer told me to do: use a DIME! It is small enough to fit into the screw head and small enough to be able to turn without lifting and repositioning it. It does work but it is still a hassle.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 AM

You need the Bernina 440 QE (there may be other models that also have the same feature). You just press a dot on the back right corner of the plate to remove it, then it snaps back into place when you are finished.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I want some genius engineer to invent a screwless plate! I can snap my feet on, why can't I somehow snap/latch my plate on? There has GOT to be a way to make that a reality. Even the old school slide-on plate like old Singers have seems like a better solution than screws.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I have this same screwdriver. Even though it's grooved for a good grip I wrapped it in the self adhesive sport bandage. Doesn't need much obviously but I get a really good grip when I need to use it. DH laughed til he needed to use it. We have since purchased a couple more and wrapped them. ALso with the bandage it doesn't slide.
Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
After struggling to remove the throat plate on my Brother, I asked my husband for assistance. Since then, I have had this on "permanent" loan from his collection. It works great - like it was "made" for the job. (It's called a straight bladed offset screwdriver). [ATTACH=CONFIG]490680[/ATTACH]
Old 09-09-2014, 06:28 AM

Wow! Here I thought I was the only one that could not use that ridiculous little screwdriver. I agree it's useless. Curious to know how you were able to get in touch with anyone from BL. When I tried was told by my dealer that there wasn't a main office....that my machine could have been made in any of a number of countries. Tried to get it serviced by another quilt shop when I had a problem and was told I had to go back to the dealer I purchased my machine from. Anyone else heard that?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
[I am absolutely convinced that that kind of consumer complaint directly to the "main man" (from me 20+ yrs ago) is the main reason the Fiskars rotary you use today will likely NOT cut your thumb off when you close it! ] Jan in VA
Good for you! It does work. My sister is the one that got Hersey's to make their cocoa cans short and fat instead of tall and skinny. (We are sure of it.) I told the cereal manufacturers that they need a way to close the top of their box after it has been opened. I got a letter back saying that it couldn't be done. Something about the machinery needs to be changed. Then lo and behold, just a short time later, their boxes had tabs on them that will close after you use some of it.
Way to go, Jan.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-09-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 AM

I have a Laura Ashley brother. I use a dime to start the screws on the plate. Diane C
Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 AM

Sorry, but I love the little round screwdriver. Works great on my machine (so far anyway), but I can relate.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I think that was great for hubby to let you keep it. I'll have to try to find one for myself. I have 2 screwdrivers that came with one of my sewing machines, but I "borrowed" a regular and star screw driver from DH and he hasn't noticed yet (several years have passed-I think he thinks one of the kids took them - LOL).