Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SE Wisconsin:  any good quilt destinations? Scenic drives? >

SE Wisconsin: any good quilt destinations? Scenic drives?

SE Wisconsin: any good quilt destinations? Scenic drives?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Before traveling, I check the Quilters' Travel Companion website. Here are links to Wisconsin and Illinois. I call ahead to verify open hours (and to make sure the shop is still in business).

http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.c...ilt-shops.html
http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.c...ilt-shops.html
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
Hi I live in the Milwaukee area. Patched Works in Elm Grove is another nice shop. Nancy's Notions shop is in Beaver Dam. I also found this site for hubby www.dairyfarmtours.com This farm would be on your way from Chicago to House on the Rock. The Wisconsin State Fair is the place to be August 2 - 12. All things farm for hubby and gorgeous quilts for you. Milwaukee also has an ethnic festival most every weekend during the summer and the world's biggest music festival, Summerfest, is June 27 to July 8. Enjoy!
Wow, thanks for the link. You guys are super!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:50 PM

The Wisconsin Quilt and Textile Museum is located in Cedarburg, which is just north of Milwaukee. Look at their website:
www.wisquiltmuseum.com.
Also, just north Milwaukee, off of highway 94 (or 894, I can't remember) is a town called Greendale. It's the home of Taste of Home (Reiman) publications. They have a wonderful headquarters there with a large collection of Norman Rockwell's covers for Life magazine. The test kitchen is also there and a good sized outlet store in the basement where they sell kitchen gadgets and hugely discounted Taste of Home cookbooks. The town also has some cute little shops.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 PM

I also live in Milwaukee. You could check out Crystal Farms. An all "green" operation, they feed their herd all organic, make their own butter and some of the best cheese on the planet. And, you said a couple weeks, right in the middle of Summerfest. That's always a good stop if you like music and beer. Local beer? Sprecher, Lienenkugel (not sure I spelled that right, good beer though), and many micro breweries in town. You can always go play volleyball at the Horny Goat Tavern in the sand pit. You'll have a great time here.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
On your way to Sew n Save in Racine stop at O &H Bakery for REAL fresh kringle. They are on Hwy 11 also -and the highway is 31 (Green Bay Road) not 131. They will be on the north side of the street after the second light from Hwy 31.

House on the Rock is a bit of a drive from Chicago and is not in the SE Wisconsin area. But is neat to see if you have the time. There will indeed be dairy farms in that area. Mill House Quilts is also in that area of Wis.

SE Wis itself is pretty much an urban area. (Kenosha - Racine - Milwaukee counties). Go west or north of Milwaukee to see farms.

Cedarburg has all kinds of shops besides the quilting one mentioned.
Cedarburg is just a darling, neat little town in general!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Banned

Greendale is off of 894. Exit on South 60th St, head south.