Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seam rippers >

Seam rippers

Seam rippers

Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 PM

There is also a men's electric razor for sideburns and mustaches. Sells for about 20.00, available any store that sell electric razors. Separate the fabrics and slide the razor along the stitches. Saw this demo at a quilt show, and I thought it very awkward, seems as one would need to have 3 hands. One for each piece of fabric and one for the razor.
But I will consider the eyebrow razor/trimmer.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
KLO

I have one of those little bitty rotary cutters and I use it in this same way to unsew seams but these look like they might be even better. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Many years ago my mother taught me to rip seams by holding the seam apart and using a razor blade. Fast? You betcha!

When I took sewing classes in school and needed to rip a seam I asked teacher for the razor blade. She darn near fainted!!

Since then I've been using a ripper and cutting every 3-5 stitches then pulling them out with the ripper. Every now and then though if I have a very long seam to rip .... I want my razor blade back!!
I also like using a razor blade to rip out seams - it's very fast! Incidently, I use a razor blade that is only one-sided - so I can't hurt myself.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks for telling about the availability of these shavers at Wal Mart. I heard of the eyebrow shavers before but the are not sold at my 99 cent store.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by sylviasmom
There is also a men's electric razor for sideburns and mustaches. Sells for about 20.00, available any store that sell electric razors. Separate the fabrics and slide the razor along the stitches. Saw this demo at a quilt show, and I thought it very awkward, seems as one would need to have 3 hands. One for each piece of fabric and one for the razor.
But I will consider the eyebrow razor/trimmer.
I got 3 for 99cents
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by KLO
I have one of those little bitty rotary cutters and I use it in this same way to unsew seams but these look like they might be even better. Thanks.
I have used mine too, but decided when I compared price that I would use my eyebrow razor and not my expensive blade.