Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams are puckering - please help >

Seams are puckering - please help

Seams are puckering - please help

Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

how far apart are you pinning. Something doesnt make sense.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

If you starch the top and bottom heavily before sandwiching, that would do a world of good. If you can't take the quilt sandwich apart, even just spray starching both sides several times should help.

I also recommend lengthening your stitch (try 4). Sorry, I may have missed this, but are you using a walking foot?

A thin cotton batting is easier to machine quilt than a polyester batting.

Also, looking at your photo, it appears that you are quilting along the bias. Fabric that is not starched will distort more when you are quilting on the bias, so this may be contributing to the problem. Honestly, I think starch would solve a lot of your problem.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:30 PM

spray adhessive will help a great deal. I know your frustration. once you've used this stuff you will never pin your quilts again. It sticks well and you can move that quilt all over and it won't move.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 PM
np3
Power Poster

If this is low loft batting, then either your stitch is too short or the tension too tight.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Are you using a walking foot? And BTW, your puckers are nothing compared to some I've gotten--mine are more like pleats! That's when I pull out the walking foot. Try that, the even feeding of fabrics makes it smoother. Also you may be using too think a batting.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Problem solved: I used the walking foot, a heavy sizing (didn't have starch) on the backing and the top, used spray adhesive, and increased the stitch size to 4... Alas, -- it is good! Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kaykid815
Problem solved: I used the walking foot, a heavy sizing (didn't have starch) on the backing and the top, used spray adhesive, and increased the stitch size to 4... Alas, -- it is good! Thanks to all for your suggestions.
:thumbup:
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Google Goddess

happy you got it figured out
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by Prism99
If you starch the top and bottom heavily before sandwiching, that would do a world of good. If you can't take the quilt sandwich apart, even just spray starching both sides several times should help.

I also recommend lengthening your stitch (try 4). Sorry, I may have missed this, but are you using a walking foot?

A thin cotton batting is easier to machine quilt than a polyester batting.

Also, looking at your photo, it appears that you are quilting
along the bias. Fabric that is not starched will distort more when you are quilting on the bias, so this may be contributing to the problem. Honestly, I think starch would solve a lot of your problem.
I think you are right about the batting , the thicker the puffiness will show, I have hand quilted and that is what I got, I liked that .. but if you want it to lay flat , you would need the right thickness, the thiner the flatter .. just my past exp with that.. I have made small blocks with all types of fillers as to go back on.. then I can not make that mishap ...also you can go to the fabric store they can tell you what filler to use when you buy the fabric just tell them what you are making.. most do know..
Hope it turns out right for you good luck..

KandKane
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by kaykid815
Just as I thought , but you can still make note of that and make note of the batting use..
Its great you got it, great work..

KandiKane