Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Search for extremely easy quilt patterns

Do any of you guys know where I can find extremely easy quilt patterns. I am looking for patterns that are beginner level, but have shortcuts or something as my time is limited with 3 little ones at home. I look through quilt magazines and I've been to just a few sites, but it all looks so daunting. The only patterns I've done are four patches and rail fence. Do you guys have any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

Quilters Cache has tons of blocks and shows you step by step and shows you what they look like as quilts also...many different sized blocks ..be prepared to spend an hour or two browsing! :)

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
    Quilt Blocks Galore!

Blog Entries
    I've lost count of places you can find free patterns online. Here's where I usually start.

http://mccallsquilting.com/

They rate the level of experience recommended for each block.

Look in the left column. Not only links to lots of free info on the McCall's pages ... links to affiliated magazine pages and more free stuff.

Can't beat it with a stick!
    :wink:

Gosh...I just looked at my bookmarks...here's another good one...some of them are beyond me even so it depends on your skill level but theres some good patterns here to print out!

http://pbtex.com/html/free_patterns.html
    free patterns

Here is another good site!

http://www.freequilt.com/
    Free Quilt Patterns from FreeQuilt.com.

I found some quick and easy patterns when I searched for quilts for kids to make

http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KidsCat.html

this is one I bookmarked

Thanks everyone!

I am familiar with Marcia's quilter's cache site. I go there often. Her pin system confuses me. Some have one pin because there's only one form of piecing, but the piecing used is difficult. I wish there was just beginner, intermediate, expert stuff.

The others I can't wait to try. I found a few sites searching today, but I want to try them all out and get rid of the bogus ones before I share with you.

Thanks again!!

Melissa

I love the Mccalls quilting site too. There are just so many out there and the patterns are free. Here is another one that I was given just the other day. It's a lot like the Turning Twenty done with fqs bu this one is free!! LOL I just made my first Turning Twenty though and wow did it go fast!! I got my fabric on Friday, cut it out on Sat and made it on Sunday and Monday.
    http://www.byannie.com/free_patterns.html
    Let us know what you decide to do.
    Gay

Melissa, someone suggested Warm Wishes to me for an animal quilt I'm doing, I don't think it can get any easier than that one and it is going to be beautiful. Can wait to get it together so I can post pictures.
    kathy

Melissa, while your kids are little, trace their hand on a piece of paper. I made a hand quilt where I machine appliqued the handprints in different fabrics with their names on them. I had my whole family, including my parents, my children and husband and even me, siblings, their spouses and their children. I made it for my sister out of fabric from her childhood outfits. It was a big hit, but my favorite part was looking at the very personalized handprints and remembering that person.

Rail Fence is a really easy pattern (you can find it at Quilters Cache)... this pattern is sort of a twist on Rail Fence and is super easy and fun!

http://www.quilters-world.com/pages/features1.php?_id=92&subcat=In%20the%20quilting%20world

Also, check out www.quiltville.com She has lots of great patterns and she includes tips and short cuts. Some are more time consuming than others. She tells how to make string quilts, which are really easy and quick!

If you want to purchase a pattern that is quick and easy, check into Yellow Brick Road, Turn Twenty and Turn Twenty Again.

Barb C.

Wow everybody!!

It will take a while for me to look into all these websites. Thank you so much. I think that I own Yellow Brick Road. It was a gift for Christmas, I just haven't looked real hard at it yet. I don't know what Warm Wishes, Turn Twenty or String quilting is. I did find a quilt that had handprints on it that I want to make for my grandmother with all her great grandchildren's hand prints on it.

Thanks again.

melissa

warm wishes
    http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt83/

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    I think that I own Yellow Brick Road. It was a gift for Christmas, I just haven't looked real hard at it yet.
    YBR is really easy and goes together quickly! I have made 4 of them. 1 for my family.. the other 3 were gifts.

Barb C.

Hi, Melissa.

I know how it feels to be a beginner. That was 16 years ago. Now I teach quilting lessons. I created a site especially for beginners. My students love my easy-to-follow lessons and ample supply of graphics.

I think you'll really have a ball making the beginner's sampler quilt. Check it out for yourself at http://www.sewaquilt.com

Hope to see you there!

Gloria

Melissa,
    I re-discovered this website today in my favorites while searching quilting designs..............lots and lots of choices. Have fun with it.

www.quiltingpassion.com/projects.html#wall

I'm gonna go play now..........

It's going to take me forever to get through all these sites. But I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love every minute of it. Thank you thank you thank you to every body. I also enjoy the newsletters I get. They are informative, but more importantly explained so a person as "beginner" as I can understand them. I can't wait to see all these. I googled "free quilt patterns" and only kept the first 20 of thousands to look at. I was wading through those when I started compiling a list of the website responses here. I now have almost 20 more. It'll take me a while.

Thanks again!! I have ideas a plenty.

Melissa

Gloria,

I just wanted to tell you I went to your site today. It was wonderful for beginners. I have made almost all the blocks already for the sampler quilt in a class I took a couple years ago. I've bookmarked it and done that RSS thing. I have also sent it to a couple friends of mine that are just beginning their quilting journey. It is a really lovely site.

Melissa

All,

I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you that responded with sites so quickly. I have now looked at all of them and bookmarked them as well. They are quite informative. On some, I had a hard time interpreting the directions, but I'm sure experience will help to some degree. The only one I did not bookmark was http://www.freequilt.com/ as I couldn't open it.

Thanks again

Melissa

Melissa,

Glad you enjoyed my site. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm here to help. That goes for anyone who wants to make the quilt sampler. Have a great weekend everybody!

Gloria, your site is fantastic. I'm going to start today!! :D

http://www.sewaquilt.com/index.html

Boo
    I was surprised not to see log cabin listed. My first three quilts where queen size log cabins, using Eleanor Burns book. I recommend this book to many new quilters, as it has excellent directions and pictures of every step. She also is specific in sizes and amounts of fabric needed.

I did what is referred to as a "log cabin " quilt block and made enough blocks for a King size plus at least a twin within a weekend. still haven't quiled it bu thats mainly from indecision about what to do with that an I"ve been moving alot. Now I'm back in my own home and plan to stay for a bit. I' get it done as soon as I find it!

I am a big fan of applique. Above all else its my favorite. Kids coloring books are a good place to look too. Smple shapes can be used in a 9 patch or more setting. Just trace around the shape in th coloring book and start cutting out! Also, keep in mind that you can use used dryer sheets instead of trying to turn under a raw edge. Just sew the dryer sheet to the right side and when done, cut a slit in the dryer sheet to turn everything right side out again and press. Then you can either slip stitch it to the background fabric or machine stitch it. I am sorry to go on so long, but if you are just starting out, maybe this will help. :D

Boo
    I have used this method also, but prefer to use 911FF a lightweight fusible interfacing. You trace the applique shape on the backside, the non fusible side, and place the fusible side against the right side of fabric. Sew on the line and cut out leaving a scant seam allowance. Cut a small slit in middle and turn. This way the fusible will hold the applique while you are stitching either by hand or machine. :D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast