Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sears Kenmore sewing machine manual and repair help!!

Banned
    I got a Sears Kenmore sewing machine for a dollar. It is a 158.17032 model and I need a manual for it. The reason I got it so cheap, is that when I push the pedal, unless I push a button, the needle will not go up and down. What can I do to fix this?
    Thanks
    Emily

You could always take it to sears for repair. They can give you a quote before they begin.

Hope that helps

I did a search for Sears sewing machines and found this site...there were several that could help.

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm

Good luck

Blog Entries
    Have you looked on ebay for a manual? Just a thought.

Banned
    I need a free manual.

Can you post a picture? Old manuals are scarce, but someone may have experience with a similar one. Where is the button you are pushing? Is it on the pedal?

Blog Entries
    Do you think this is an electrical problem? Or simply a feature of the sewing machine? The only way a user's manual will help is if it is a feature of the machine, but this is not a feature I have heard of before.

There are very few free sewing machine manuals online. I couldn't find one for your model. I did find a manual on eBay for your machine, though:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250386514179

As others have mentioned, it would help to have a picture of the machine and a description of the button you have to push to get the needle to go up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter101
    I got a Sears Kenmore sewing machine for a dollar. It is a 158.17032 model and I need a manual for it. The reason I got it so cheap, is that when I push the pedal, unless I push a button, the needle will not go up and down. What can I do to fix this?
    Thanks
    Emily
    Are you pushing the on/off button to get it to work....maybe there's a short in the switch or it's an electrical problem.

Ok, I am curious, where do you find all these sewing machines? You must have great parents to buy you so many sewing supplies.

If you post pictures of the machine we may be able to help you a bit more

Banned
    I figured it out, there was a button that needed a lever to have it down, it didn't sew. I will post a topic with pictures to the picture forum. How I got so many sewing machines is, I was given one by my grandmother, one by my aunt. I purchased one for a dollar, got a treadle for 125 and then this for a dollar. There is a thrift store that my family goes to quite often. My parents told me 4 was my limit, but somehow I got this one as well ;)
    Thank you, I will check out that manual, and perhaps get it. I need it because it is so different!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17629.page

Emily

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    I replied to your other thread about this machine in the pictures section.
    I have almost the same machine as yours, mine is the next model up, I think. 158.17740. Yours was manufactured in 1973, mine in 1974. You know, my machine is way older than I am, and I still love it. I just took the plunge last month and bought a new one, and I wouldn't even look at anything other than a kenmore, I had such great luck with the previous one. It just died on me one day and I couldn't bear to get rid of it so I snuck it to the repair shop and had it fixed, even though I just blew 500 bucks on a new machine, lol! My bf is still mad at me for that.

Anyway, I know it's not EXACTLY the same model, but I think it's pretty similar, did you get a bunch of different cams with yours?
    If you want, I can see if I can find the english version of my manual (I mostly refer to the french one) and make photocopies to send you. Let me know!