Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Lavender Colored 1960's Sears Kenmore Sewing Machine

  1. #1
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1

    Lavender Colored 1960's Sears Kenmore Sewing Machine

    I'm contemplating this little cutie. Does anyone have one of these or know anything about it such as model number? http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/fuo/3536510623.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  2. #2
    Senior Member vanginney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    351
    Blog Entries
    11
    Not sure about this one, but my neighbour has a sears machine with plastic parts...one essential piece broke and it took her a long time to find a replacement. I would test it out if you can...to see if it sews. like the color

  3. #3
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
    Not sure about this one, but my neighbour has a sears machine with plastic parts...one essential piece broke and it took her a long time to find a replacement. I would test it out if you can...to see if it sews. like the color
    Did they use plastic parts in the 1960's? I won't buy it before trying it out! I was wanting to do some internet research on it but don't know the model number
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  4. #4
    Senior Member vanginney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    351
    Blog Entries
    11
    Not sure about the 60s but my Pfaff 1970s has plastic gears. It sews just fine, but it was very cheap (free) , so I didn't think I would lose out. I think as long as you like it and it sews - you should get it!

  5. #5
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,361
    Not really sure about this machine, but it sure is a cutie!!!!

  6. #6
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Great deals can be found on Craigslist and, depending where you live, the selection can be excellent
    and you can see the machine and test it before buying.
    Ask if you can plug it in and try it.
    Does it work? Does it have any mechanical problems?
    -Is it missing any parts? (They may not know.)
    Does it come with a manual?
    -Some sellers are extremely thorough and knowledgeable about machines, others are not.
    Many sellers claim not to have the pedal, which allows them to claim no knowledge
    of whether the machine works or not.
    Take along a screwdriver and look under the hood - any plastic?
    -If the machine does embroidery stitches, ask if you can see a stitch sample. Many people post a stitch sample.
    -If it uses external cams, are the cams included with the machine?
    -If it’s not a domestically-made machine, make sure it is wired for American outlets
    -Test - does it sew forward and reverse?
    -Do the feed dogs drop for doing free motion embroidery?
    -Is there any rust?
    -What condition is the wiring in? Are there any cracks in the wire or taped areas?
    -Does it come with any attachments?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    sydney australia
    Posts
    129
    Thanks for that hint that sellers claim not to have the pedal so they "don't know whether it works or not"! I had puzzled over a few of these entries on ebay, wondering how so many machines get separated from their pedals, and now I know.

  8. #8
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    There is a purple Kenmore, that is highly sought after, called Lady Kenmore (I think that is the name). Do a search to compare pics. Do you know the model number?

    I've bought a few Kenmore's on Craigslist, super cheap, and they are awesome machines!!

  9. #9
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Some of those Kenmore's are extremely nice machines. The Lady Kenmore, Kenmore 89, was made by Pfaff in Germany and it is a highly prized machine. If you can get the model number do a google search of that particular machine.

    Nancy

  10. #10
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    auntpiggylpn,

    It's a Kenmore 158-52 series machine. ALL STEEL INSIDE, NO PLASTIC. It's made by Maruzen / Jaguar. They are very good machines. They use cams as well.

    I have one that looks just like it for sale. Mine is a 158-523.

    Joe

  11. #11
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    auntpiggylpn,

    It's a Kenmore 158-52 series machine. ALL STEEL INSIDE, NO PLASTIC. It's made by Maruzen / Jaguar. They are very good machines. They use cams as well.

    I have one that looks just like it for sale. Mine is a 158-523.

    Joe
    Thanks Joe! I was hoping someone could give me the model number!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Great deals can be found on Craigslist and, depending where you live, the selection can be excellent
    and you can see the machine and test it before buying.
    Ask if you can plug it in and try it.
    Does it work? Does it have any mechanical problems?
    -Is it missing any parts? (They may not know.)
    Does it come with a manual?
    -Some sellers are extremely thorough and knowledgeable about machines, others are not.
    Many sellers claim not to have the pedal, which allows them to claim no knowledge
    of whether the machine works or not.
    Take along a screwdriver and look under the hood - any plastic?
    -If the machine does embroidery stitches, ask if you can see a stitch sample. Many people post a stitch sample.
    -If it uses external cams, are the cams included with the machine?
    -If it’s not a domestically-made machine, make sure it is wired for American outlets
    -Test - does it sew forward and reverse?
    -Do the feed dogs drop for doing free motion embroidery?
    -Is there any rust?
    -What condition is the wiring in? Are there any cracks in the wire or taped areas?
    -Does it come with any attachments?

    That is a wonderful list of questions. Sometimes I get caught up in the moment and forget to ask that 'one question'. This is great.

  13. #13
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have an old gray one and an old white one - very well made Kenmore machines. How do you find manuals and how do you know who made them and where they were made?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,063
    I have two Kenmores both were free to me. One is that same color lavender, but it is a model 29. I use it a lot for free motion quilting. It was made in the 1960s. I have no idea who actually made my Kenmores. The other one is a 18030 from the early 1970s. Kenmore seems to have a weird system for model numbers.......or at least weird to me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois...near St. Louis
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I have an old gray one and an old white one - very well made Kenmore machines. How do you find manuals and how do you know who made them and where they were made?
    You can find some manuals on the Sears site & ebay always has lots of Kenmore manuals. The 117 series were made by White, 158 series by Maruzen/Jaguar....mostly in Japan but some of the later ones were made in Taiwan, & the 385 series are Janomes. And most have where they were made printed someplace on the machine.

    There are a few machines (like the Lady Kenmore) that were made by a different company....but they're the exception, not the rule. The 158 series machines are wonderful...

  16. #16
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    My manual came from the Sears on line source.

    Joe

  17. #17
    Senior Member Skyangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    807
    I have two Kenmores in the 158 series at present. My full sized 158-1946 is basic and doesn't use cams, but I got it inew for a HS graduation gift in 1878 and it is still working great. It was my only machine for 25 years and I've used it well. My manual got very damp one place I lived and the pages stuck together. I found a replacement on ebay which also included the attachments from a sister machine that was destroyed in a flood. I also have a 158-1050 which is one of the cute 3/4 size machines that have the case with molded roses. It is promised to a friend who has been bugging me to find her a travel machine less expensive than a Featherweight. They are also more versatile as they have zz and a few utility stitches.

    My Mother has a 148 series that is a few years older but still working good except she had it serviced at the local "big" (4 locations) SM dealer who sprayed something white in it that froze it solid about a year later (let me guess, she'd take it back to them and it wouldn't be fixable). I swapped her mine while I had to let it sit with PB Blaster to free it up. She is now not allowed to have anyone else work on her machine.

    I had a 117-959 my sister gave me from her late MIL. They are rather homely looking (lin a brown godzilla football kinda way) but cleaned up pretty nice. I was able to find a free online manual to download for it and sold it recently. Of course since then I picked up an original manual and attachments on ebay for 99cents ... bait for the next one.

  18. #18
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    My manual came from the Sears on line source.

    Joe
    I must not be doing it right - I don't get anything from there
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  19. #19
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Miriam, I'd a pain in the butt. You've got to play with each page to save it, then once you've got it saved you got to print it.

    I'll make you a copy.

    Joe

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    322
    I have a 1975 Kenmore that i got for $35 at the ReStore. Its now my favorite machine for piecing. If the price is right, go for it!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    394
    Name:  WP_002244.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  137.3 KBHere's mine before the clean up. It works really well and came with a set of cams and attachments. Great machine and the stitches are a lot of fun. Mine was $15 at a garage sale. It only needed cleaning and oiling and it was ready to sew.

  22. #22
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    auntpiggylpn,

    I can guarantee you that machine might be cute, but it's one heavy machine. All casted iron, that one is.

    Did I ever post a pic of mine? No, yes, maybe ..... well here it is.


    Beautiful sewing machine.

    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.