Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Machine

LDB

Second Machine

I have recently come into a Bernette 46, a small, very basic machine. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, including the knee lift and automatic thread cutter, two features which I use all the time. I am really attached to the features of my Brother NX6500, which has these features. Perhaps I could use this for a raffle or quilting garage sale for the OMQG. My question is what do you all use a second machine for? I could use it to take to classes and whatnot, I suppose. My question is what do you all use a second machine for?

Good question. I have an Baby Lock Ellisimom, a Singer Quantum CL, a Baby Lock Serger and my old Baby Lock Ellegante (that I am trying to sell). I use to just sew with my singer, then I sewed with my baby lock and really liked it, so started sewing with it and the singer sat. Now I have learned that you must use your machines, they are like cars and must be "started up". For classes I use to take my ellegante. I had one doing embroidery while I sewed on the other. In the end I have decided I have "too" much and need to get back to basics. Not much help, am I?
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

When I first started quilting (two years ago), I bought a cheap Singer because it was lightweight and could take it to classes. What has happened is the needle jumps out of alighment... had it repaired once. One week later, it messed up again! If I have it repaired again, I will have spent enough $$ to buy another one!! So, I'm learning to sew with the needle off center.

To answer your question, a 2nd machine is good backup if nothing else.

Use one as a backup when the main is in the shop.

Sometimes machines have different strengths so I set them up differently. My old Kenmore is great with heavy stuff so it gets used for that, my Juki does better with small seams or delicate items than my Janome. I have a new(to me) Bernina 230 that is the smallest and lightest so it will get used for classes and most likely to teach my DD to sew.

I have a small Janome that I love!! I bought it so I wouldn't have to drag my heavy Quattro anywhere. I use the Janome to take to pillowcase parties to make pillowcases for Conker Cancer. I have also used it to teach a couple little girls how to sew.
    Gloria 

When your main machine is in the shop you need a backup.
    Since it is small you can use it for travel.

Two machine? Of course!! I have a Singer Confidence quilter and a Brother 1500s. The brothers is straight stitch only and the Singer does the fancy stitches. .I use the Brothers for my piecing and FMQ. and the Singer when I need fancy stitches. I really needed a back -up machine when my Brothers was in the shop for 3 weeks. As for other machine like sergers and embrodery machine- not for me. Also I take Singer to class since it is lighter than my Brothers.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Power Poster
    ​My back up machine is a Bernina Activa. I take that one to classes and also use it when my main machine needs a check up. I would be lost this month without it ! My Bernina 440 had to go to the doctor and it still isn't ready for pick up.

Because I feared I would damage my Janome 6600 taking it back and forth to classes, I recently purchased a Janome 760 to use as a backup and to take to class. It is very light weight but sews beautifully - I am so excited to have it in my sewing room :-) !

Two machine? Of course!! I have a Singer Confidence quilter and a Brother 1500s. The brothers is straight stitch only and the Singer does the fancy stitches. .I use the Brothers for my piecing and FMQ. and the Singer when I need fancy stitches. I really needed a back -up machine when my Brothers was in the shop for 3 weeks. As for other machine like sergers and embrodery machine- not for me. Also I take Singer to class since it is lighter than my Brothers.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Don't get me started about more than one sewing machine... I only had one machine (a Singer from high school until 30 years ago) but I was only sewing clothes then. When it stopped working I took it to be repaired and found out I had totally worn out the the machine so I bought a simple Viking 150 (still just sewing). When my Mom passed away in 2000 she left me a note to buy a really good machine with some of my inheritance so I did. Got a Viking Designer 1 and I love it. But that started it, as I started quilting, when that D1 got older I was so afraid of it breaking and I started taking quilting classes so I bought a Featherweight (the type of machine I got in middle school when I started sewing) for classes. Love it but I think I went crazy, bought a Viking 183 for class also. This year I wanted a bigger throat for free motion so I got a Viking 875 with 10 inch throat and within 1 month bought a Janome 8200 with an 11 inch throat.
    You really need more than one for all the reasons mentioned by others but be careful it can become an addiction. Guess we all have to have our obsessions. I do think it's important to have a machine to take to classes if you attend with any regularity, but be careful. I have a quilting friend that has 13 machines, some older ones for display as she has an actual quilting room but each machine has different features....Oops I also have a Viking surger....Love them all

I have three Janomes. My Janome 3500 I have had about 15 yrs, and its never been in the shop and I take it to Quilt Group with me as it is lighter weight to carry etc. The other two Janomes are combo, emb machines that I use here at home. Always have a backup if something goes wrong with one. But Janomes are very dependable and only go in for reg. maintanence once a year.

I have two Brother machines, very basic ones. One I use mostly for stitching blocks:I*ve finally found the settings for the scant 1/4" so that stays on this Number 1 machine. Number 2 has the walking foot attached, also used with ruffling foot etc. I had to buy the #2(The most basic one)when the bobbin winder part on #1 quit working and there is no Brother shop in the city. I also got an elderly Bernette 330 from my sister, this one I use for FMQ and garment sewing, also piecing ,and whatever, I love the quiet humming of the Bernette. My serger is for anything that needs overlocked seams including finishing quilting projects edges. I 'm going to be a great grandmother come June; the serger will be put to heavy usage with interlock materials for baby boy clothing.

I have the Bernina 830 as my main machine and do most of my sewing on it. My second machine a Bernina 350 is used for classes, retreats and when the big machine is getting updated. My grandchildren use both machines - it is easier to use the smaller machine as it can be set up at the kitchen table for them.

Blog Entries
    I use my FW to take to classes where my time is spent piecing. My Janome 8900( I think that's the right number) I use for quilting and anything that needs something other than a straight stitch.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Always good to have a back up machine!

In 2006, I bought a Bernina 440 as my main machine but kept the Kenmore I'd had since HS graduation. The 440 has embroidery so I can leave it set up for embroidery and sew on another. But then I saw a Featherweight and really wanted one as I love vintage things, not to mention it sews wonderful and is so dang cute!

Fast forward 7 years my count stands at 14 machines, including a Bernina serger, 2 Featherweights, and a Singer treadle. Other than the 440 and the serger, everything else is vintage. I found that I enjoy restoring the vintage machines and have re-homed some but will keep several permanently. I can have a sewing party and supply all the machines!

I do all piecing on my Singer 401, my singer 201 is set up with ruffler attachment for grand daughters clothes I make, one brother used for decorative stitches and sometimes FMQ small items, Viking mega quilter now table top quilter, new brother 1500 on frame for quilting. I have the room to keep them all set up and ready to use, hate having to change things every time I want to do something different.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I use my backup machine for when mine goes in for annual check-up... It also comes in handy when I am working on a project that I have different thread colors or settings .. I have one machine that has the "other" thread or settings or special feet all set up , so I can go back and forth between the two.

I would not be without a back up machine. I have a new old 1950s machine. One we bought in 1962/63. A couple more I don't use. My Babylock Jane is my piecing machine. My Juki TL98QE I use for quilting. I use the last two all the time. I don't like the knee lift and don't use them. Fist has the thread cutter, other has the needle up button and both stop with needle down. I love those features.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Bernette 46 to take to retreats. I love it for that, so I don't have to "disturb" my Pfaff machine. I don't use the Bernette for anything else, so I don't take anything to a retreat that I need to do fancy stuff on....only piecing! It's a great little machine for that purpose.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

classes mostly, my big machine is heavy so don't use it for classes unless its and embroidery or FMQ class. I also use my small machine for travel when I go to my inlaws house and take it to sew. Also there when your machine is in for servicing/cleaning to use on current projects. It is always good to have a back up even if it is not used that often. I also used to keep my mechanical out with a walking foot on so I didn't have to spend the time putting one on my big machine before I packed it away for my daughter
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I just got a new light weight as a back up machine. I plan to use it for classes, vacations and mostly so I can do chain piecing on the porch on nice days. My regular machine is heavy and I don't like moving it.

I have an older inexpensive machine, I think it's a Kenmore, that I've had for years and years. I'll give it to my daughter when she settles into her first post college apartment. I have a treadle machine that I use as a furniture piece in my dining room. I got it years ago solely for the furniture. The machine doesn't work, but does look like it could be repaired and restored if I want to take on that project some day.

I use both of my machines almost every day. My daughter gave me a Featherweight to take to quilting classes; but I use it for piecing. My Bernina is used for machine appliqué and for FMQ. I usually work on the Bernina in the morning and the Featherweight in the afternoon. I really like being able to do my piecing without having to take the BSR, walking foot, etc. off the machine. I just go over to the Featherweight. It also comes in handy when the Bernina goes in for cleaning. So far, I have been able to do all the servicing my Featherweight needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    I have recently come into a Bernette 46, a small, very basic machine. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, including the knee lift and automatic thread cutter, two features which I use all the time. I am really attached to the features of my Brother NX6500, which has these features. Perhaps I could use this for a raffle or quilting garage sale for the OMQG. My question is what do you all use a second machine for? I could use it to take to classes and whatnot, I suppose. My question is what do you all use a second machine for?
    Sometimes it is nice to have a backup or a machine that might be better at handling heavy weight layers, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast