Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
securing the quilt together >

securing the quilt together

securing the quilt together

Old 03-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Default securing the quilt together

Hi, I do hope someone can help me. I have a quilt which at the moment I don't like, I have no idea why, but not enjoying it at all. I want to know different ways of securing the layers together, rather than stitching in the ditch, is it possible to secure in some other way such as tie it together in certain areas, or any other ideas, and what should I use.

Sorry I sound perplexed but I am.

Idle Di
Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Stitch in the ditch certainly isn't the only option for quilting, but what will work in this instance will depend on the piecing pattern, and your taste, and how much time you want to put into the work.

Tying a quilt is certainly an option, and I've seen some wonderful tied quilts (vintage and modern). I'd recommend that you just google "tying a quilt" or "how to tie a quilt," and you're sure to come across some good tutorials.

I hope this helps!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

In addition to SITD, you could stitch diagonal lines across the quilt, or horizontal and vertical lines, not on the block seams. If you don't want to hand or machine quilt, then you can tie. As mentioned there are lots of good tutorials and videos out there. If your machine has a built in bar tack, you could also use that instead of hand tying. Whatever you do, you need to read the info on your batting about how closely you need to secure the batt so that it doesn't come apart. Remember the recommended distance is in all directions, including the diagonal.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Oh thank you ever so much, I was so reluctant to try tying it as it is for a little child. I will google it and then decide, and as for the stitching across (sideways) on the squares, what a great idea. Thank you again

Idle Di
Old 03-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

SITD is a good way to secure the layers and you can add more quilting to it. It would help to see a picture to give better advice. Instead of SITD I have used a wavy line across the seam. OR I have done grid quilting. I have also done a top-stitch 1/4" on the side of the seam. There are so many options.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 PM

If you just want this one done and out the door I would certainly vote for tying. General rule of thumb - tie about a hand-width apart in all directions. Double knot your ties and you should be good to go. And since it's for a child just make sure you do not leave long tails - 1/4" or so long. You want them long enough to be secure but not so long as to be a problem.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 AM

When my kids were little, I would do Charm Tack quilting. You took a cookie cutter or some kind of item, drew around it to make the shape, either on the quilt or on a piece of paper or cardboard from cereal box, etc. Place the shape on the quilt (if not drawn on quilt) and quilt around it, then place it on another place on the quilt, quilt around the shape, til done. If you do different shapes they also have an "I spy" type quilt, where they can search for the shape of the dog, or star, or ball. Or you could scatter the continuous freehand star that we all learned to do in grade school.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Another option is the invisible or international stitch. It is well suited to quilts for small children because there are no tempting dangling pieces of thread or yarn to chew on, and very few knots. You do need a doll needle to travel from one tie to the next.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEkHht2oJsg
Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM

sometimes wavey lines are fun an easy to do
Old 03-06-2017, 06:32 AM

If you do tie the quilt, which is a time-honored way to hold the 3 layers together, knot securely and snip the thread short--not long enough for the child to get tangled around a finger and cut off the circulation.