Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing >

Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing

Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM

If I was ever tempted to skip the pre-wash step, you have cured me. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 PM

I just had the same experience! I'm doing a red/white/black quilt and on prewashing the fabrics, the black bled a lot, just like your's did. The LQS owner told me black is bad for that due to all the dye they have to use to achieve true black. She recommended adding white vinegar to the water and it sets the color. I tried this on some extra same black fabric I had to buy and it worked! But what if I hadn't pre-rinsed it first and had made the quilt, then washed! Scary. I have used the color catchers but I understand it would have to be used each time it's washed and what if the quilt recipient doesn't do it? I know red bleeds but it wasn't nearly as much as the black. Thanks for your post!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 AM

Scared me, I thought it was a snake.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM

For those that love Retayne and Synthropol....have you considered buying it by the gallon? I have purchased from Colorado Wholesale Dyes by the gallon these products. (Disclousure: I'm in no way affliated with this company, my research background I always search for the most inexpensive way to purchase products I like)

I just called and the current price for a gallon of either product is $19.99. Of course there is shipping to be added, but if you buy the 8oz bottles at your LQS they can run anywhere from $8-12 per 8 oz bottle.

Colorado Wholesale Dyes phone number is: 1-800-697-1566. For those living in the Denver metro area they are in Littleton and you can pick it up. My experience is with them outstanding.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Retayne and synthrapol

I first got into quilting via by wanting to sew gain father a 25+ year break. Was punning on making clothes so was used to per-washing my fabrics before making anything. Was surprised by # of people ho did not prewash. I have "soaked" a lot of my fabrics in retune and very hot water -- until they rinsed clear in running water. Then I would wash in machine on hot or warm with synthrapol which is a surfactant that removes dye from the water, similar tothe color catchers now. Have gotten lazy with current purchases since so many good quilters I know do not prewash but if it is red, black, brown or dark blue (especially a batik) I would prewash first. Someone who was buying some Hoffman batiks at the LQS was discussing this with my friend and myself. She gives recipient of the quilt a few Shout color catchers with quilt and washing instructions.

I think I will piece my recent batik jelly rolls first then either soak in retayne (probably in not so Hoyt water) and dry thenpress or quilt first then wash dry and possibly press to get any possible dye out of the quilt before giving away if a gift.

Soaking and per washing the Hoffmann strips would be a real pain -- they are not pinked and Bali pop pkgs even state they may not be even as they are hand cut!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Onaemtnest - thanks for the tip for buying Retayne in bulk!
Dayle
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the tip. I love the look of a quilt made from unwashed fabrics as it shrinks in between the quilting and looks aged.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 AM

I have been adding to my batik stash recently. You have convinced me. I am lazy and did not want to prewash, but knew I had to, now I KNOW.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM

What I have trouble understanding is why so many quilters prefer to use Synthrapol or Color Catchers wash after wash after wash instead of prewashing their bleeding fabrics once, maybe twice, in Retayne. (around here, if it bleeds after two treatments, it goes in a non-washable wall quilt)

Testing for colorfastness is quick, easy, and does not involve wetting the entire piece of fabric. If it bleeds, treat it with Retayne. If it doesn't, why waste your money on Color Catchers? And why put a laundry restriction on a quilt that you gift?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

As far as getting the "shrunk" antique look for quilts- many of them were made from old, washed many times garments or linens - so they probably would not have shrunk at all when they were washed.