Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice re quilt >

Seeking advice re quilt

Seeking advice re quilt

Old 02-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Default Seeking advice re quilt

My sister-in-law has chosen to do the Rolling Star quilt IV from Plum Creek Quilts:

https://plumcreekquilts.com/collecti...=8776843034666

I am reading the directions, which are quite detailed. She would like to strip piece the sections. She is a beginner quilter but has tackled intermediate level projects with success. She is precise in her piecing and accurate in her seams. She has asked me to help her along with it, but as she lives several hours away, assistance will be via telephone.

We do plan to do a test block of the sections to ensure understanding of the directions.

Any other words of wisdom?

The fabrics in the kit are beautiful. I am not sure how much extra is allowed as this is the first time I have seen one of their kits.

TYIA
Old 02-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

A test block is an excellent idea. I have gone overboard many times and cut for an entire quilt and then lost interest because it was difficult.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Good Luck in coaching via the telephone!

Sometimes the best thing to do is just go for it, even though people say it is beyond your abilities.
I've done that a lot ... I didn't know what I didn't know and guess what? it worked!
Naivete is a blessing at times!

As part of doing the test blocks ..... be sure to check that the finished size of the block is the right size.
A wee bit off on the seam width could make this pattern next thing to impossible to work out.

Look forward to seeing what the two of you create!!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:07 AM

I've done one like this that I strip peiced, and it worked fine. The main thing to watch for, always make sure you are going "square" with the seam lines. Don't keep using the cut edge. When I've done this, I've had to "true up" the leading edge every 3-4 cuts, using the seam lines to keep things correct.

I've also done it that I sew and cut, then rip and shuffle so I have the correct color sequence.

The more I look at the pattern, there isn't a lot of repeat, like four for each row. So you can cut strips to cover that. I would suggest cutting the leading angle for the star rows, so you don't end up with a lot of extra on the ends.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

If she is an accurate pieces then the diamonds should come out the right size. She will need to do Y seams to set in the squares but if she stops at the 1/4 inch marks, it should go well.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM

I did a Jinny Beyer version of the Rolling Star a few years ago. She calls hers a Stained Glass Star. The strip piecing made it go pretty quick. I'm hoping your SIL's pattern came with pressing instructions. Some designers are good about including it with their instructions and some....not so much.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by CathieD View Post
I did a Jinny Beyer version of the Rolling Star a few years ago. She calls hers a Stained Glass Star. The strip piecing made it go pretty quick. I'm hoping your SIL's pattern came with pressing instructions. Some designers are good about including it with their instructions and some....not so much.
Cathie, the instructions do have pressing directions, so I'll be sure to mention that to her to pay attention to it.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've done one like this that I strip peiced, and it worked fine. The main thing to watch for, always make sure you are going "square" with the seam lines. Don't keep using the cut edge. When I've done this, I've had to "true up" the leading edge every 3-4 cuts, using the seam lines to keep things correct.

I've also done it that I sew and cut, then rip and shuffle so I have the correct color sequence.

The more I look at the pattern, there isn't a lot of repeat, like four for each row. So you can cut strips to cover that. I would suggest cutting the leading angle for the star rows, so you don't end up with a lot of extra on the ends.
Macybaby - I understand your first paragraph, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the "rip and shuffle" part, or about cutting strips for each row part? Could you please expand your explanation? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

It is beautiful, not for me. I'm afraid my patience is not up to it. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM

The quilt is beautiful!

As for helping her......face time? She could then show you things instead of trying to describe everything. Don't forget to have her use her phone camera and text you photos while you're chatting if you can't face time.