Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice for quilt border >

Seeking advice for quilt border

Seeking advice for quilt border

Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM

This is one of two quilts I'm working on. It's almost done, but needs another row of blocks to lengthen it, then a border. I'm not sure what to do because the border only needs to be about three inches on each side to fit a twin bed how I'd like it to. What would you do for a border of that size on this quilt? I think the alternating white and colored fabric along the edge is throwing me. I'd love to know what you think would look best. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265966.jpe   attachment-265967.jpe   attachment-265968.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM

You could do a border of alternating 3 inch squares of the prints and the colors.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I can see your problem. If you add white, it will mess up the white squares and colour will mess up the coloured squares. I think I would look for a bold fabric that reflects a lot of the colours you've used and do a four inch border of that. Pick a large floral that goes with your colours but isn't in the quilt so it wouldn't blend with a coloured square? Guess I'm not much help, maybe someone else will come up with something brilliant.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM

That is very pretty! I think I'd do a white, then a print border. Maybe a solid, marble or solid looking binding. I'd probably have to lay out some fabrics to get an idea of how big to make the borders. If you don't want to go too big, you could do a narrow inner border and wider outer border. If you didn't prewash, you might want to consider that it could shrink and end up a little smaller than you planned.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Very pretty!! Love your fabrics. I'd use either the darker rose-peach (2nd picture, block on the far left) or the darker teal (2nd picture, block on the left-middle) for the border.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the replies!! I should have said...this was/is a jelly roll quilt and I only have a bit of the strips left over (I like the alternating idea, SQ!).

Other info I didn't include...I didn't prewash, since I was using jelly rolls, so I'm planning on about 5% or so "shrinkage".
Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

It's a lovely quilt!!

My inclination is that you do not need a border! Just bind it with a scrappy binding of the fabrics you have used.

Do you need the extra 6"? or could you accomplish that with a bed skit?

If you need the width ... just go with a plain white border, no other fabrics. Do some quilting in that white space. And do the scrappy binding.

The plain border will not take away from the quilt, whereas print blocks would, as you're going into something different.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 PM

You could always pick your favorite print out of the quilt and use it for the border.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Thanks for the replies!! I should have said...this was/is a jelly roll quilt and I only have a bit of the strips left over (I like the alternating idea, SQ!).

Other info I didn't include...I didn't prewash, since I was using jelly rolls, so I'm planning on about 5% or so "shrinkage".
How about a small piano key border around it with the colors, very pretty
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Use maybe a navy blue or other dark fabric to make a border.
Beautiful quilt, best pattern I have seen for a jelly roll.