Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice for quilt border >

Seeking advice for quilt border

Seeking advice for quilt border

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty
Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM

How about a tiny(quarter inch or half inch) black border then white? Kinda like outlining it.
Lovely quilt.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Thanks for the replies!! I should have said...this was/is a jelly roll quilt and I only have a bit of the strips left over (I like the alternating idea, SQ!).

Other info I didn't include...I didn't prewash, since I was using jelly rolls, so I'm planning on about 5% or so "shrinkage".
What a cute quilt! A few questions: Did you use 1 jelly roll or did you combine rolls? If it is one jelly roll, what is the fabric (I would love a fat quarter bundle or a layer cake) and what is the name of the pattern?

I can't wait to see what solution you use for the border.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Oh, thanks so much for the feedback!! I guess I'm kind of leaning toward plain white?...but going to sleep on it..maybe a few nights. Another concern is that I have dogs who, on occasion, will prop their paws on the side of the bed and don't want it to look dirty, require extra washing just because it is white. I don't know--here goes my mind, 'round in circles!

Yes, I really need the inches! The pic isn't an accurate representation really of the size, because there was no "overhang" at all on the wall side of the pic...needs more than a bedskirt.

Thank you, Jingle! This is inspired by Camille Roskelly's "Jelly Filled" quilt. To stretch my jelly roll and make a bigger quilt, I mixed in white (I used a Moda Bella jelly roll for that). I like to see the different fabrics kind of set apart from each other.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
Originally Posted by mollymct
Thanks for the replies!! I should have said...this was/is a jelly roll quilt and I only have a bit of the strips left over (I like the alternating idea, SQ!).

Other info I didn't include...I didn't prewash, since I was using jelly rolls, so I'm planning on about 5% or so "shrinkage".
What a cute quilt! A few questions: Did you use 1 jelly roll or did you combine rolls? If it is one jelly roll, what is the fabric (I would love a fat quarter bundle or a layer cake) and what is the name of the pattern?

I can't wait to see what solution you use for the border.
Hi! The patterned fabric is Fandango (Kate Spain for Moda) and I waited a long time to find a pattern I wanted to use it in! I also used a Moda Bella Basics jelly roll (it was on sale and I have to say, it was worth it to me in this instance to pay for the convenience of having the cuts made! I'm working in a tiny space at the moment). The pattern that inspired the quilt was "Jelly Filled" as I posted earlier (JF is also adorable done with a honeybun!!). If you compare patterns, aside from using white, I didn't make the blocks that are random strips. I still have those strips and will use them in some way on the backing or for pillows.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 PM

I did a quilt white with print rectangles. I did a scrappy border and I think it turned out pretty.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142747-1.htm
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM

I would use a narrow solid border - either a green or coral, then a finishing border of your choice. Fandango fabrics are still available. I really like that line, so I notice when someone still has some.

You need the solid contrasting border to contain the colors in the quilt. I used chocolate brown in my Fandango quilt, but mine had no white so it read much darker.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM

love it !!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

How about a green border!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 AM

I like a dark colored border to highlight the quilt like a matte on a picture frame! I also made a quilt with the same jelly roll using the Tradewinds pattern. I used three colors to frame my quilt coral, brown and dark mint green (a row of each and used left over jelly roll material for corner stones)that coordinated with the quilt. I am at work right now and can't put up a picture of it but i will after I get home. Lovely job on your quilt. I too purchased my jelly roll when on sale!