Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice from type A quilters on HST >

Seeking advice from type A quilters on HST

Seeking advice from type A quilters on HST

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 AM

I know the desired method of joining HST is not to chain piece triangles together. However...it always seems that I don't think things through well enough in advance to plan otherwise. My question is, when sewing together the HSTs, how do you keep the end of your seem (at the bottom point) from veering off when it hits the feed dogs? I guide the tip along with a wooden skewer until it's ready to slip under the presser foot, but most often the tip will not follow the trajectory and I end up with the end of my seem being less than 1/4 inch. Of course that produces a less than perfect square when opened and pressed. Any advice?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Practice!
sorry, but that's about all that I can think to suggest! There's no magic wand!!!!

The important part is that you recognize the problem and are working on dealing with it.

Setting seams, then pressing WELL at every step helps a lot. Also, I feel it's more of an issue with some machines than others.

You're doing what needs to be done ... awareness ... and experimenting to find what works best for you!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 AM

When I do my HST ~ 1) enlarge square; example- pattern calls for 2 7/8", I cut 3". 2) draw diagonal line and sew scant 1/4" seams. 3) cut on diagonal line 4) press and trim to proper size.

Now sometimes because of the pattern I have to sew those blessed triangle. Then I use a leader (scrap fabric) before sewing triangle, somehow this helps.

Also what I have learned ~ start slow. Plus if you have a straight stitch plate, helps also.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

After reading Grammy's comments, I'm not sure which you are asking .... when you are initially making your HST's (Grammy's)? or when you are joining two or more HST's together (my comments)?

Looks like we both interpreted it differently. Perhaps you could clarify!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 AM

I don't have to worry about seams or much at all using Triangulations!!! It's awesome!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM

I have used the "purple thing" to push it thru...on my new machine it has pin feed, which makes piecing awesome...so I really don't have to use any thing to push it now. The pin feed also makes it where I don't have to use the walking/even feed foot for straight quilting, either... I also make the squares 1/8" bigger, that way when I go to square up it works great. I use the June Tailor square up ruler, too. I really still don't love making hst, but doing it how I do it now makes them come out right, and that takes away a lot of the frustration!!..
Good luck,
Kif
Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I always trim down my HSTs. Yes, it's a bit of work but I like the result.

Have you tried different feet to see if that makes a difference? I like the foot with the edge guide.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Whatever is an HST?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:34 PM

HST = Half Square Triangle (I think)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM

I'd like to hear more about your pin feed machine. What kind is it?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I have used the "purple thing" to push it thru...on my new machine it has pin feed, which makes piecing awesome...so I really don't have to use any thing to push it now. The pin feed also makes it where I don't have to use the walking/even feed foot for straight quilting, either... I also make the squares 1/8" bigger, that way when I go to square up it works great. I use the June Tailor square up ruler, too. I really still don't love making hst, but doing it how I do it now makes them come out right, and that takes away a lot of the frustration!!..
Good luck,
Kif