Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
self binding napkins >

self binding napkins

self binding napkins

Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 AM

I have made many of these, and they are loved by Mommas.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Here's a link to a video tutorial on how to do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay View Post
We've had a great crop of new babies in the past year, so I've been making self binding receiving blankets like a factory. I had some metallic marble that I bought as a remnant and had the probably not very original idea to use the same process for table napkins. I put the metallic with a mottled black and turned out four napkins in no time. Family members may get tired of these soonl
Great minds think alike. I've done several sets and started out following this tut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGESFvTYm6g). This tut shows you how to miter a corner easily so you can either end up with hemmed (1 piece of fabric) napkins or self bound (2 pieces of fabric). If I make the 2 piece I plan for a fairly wide border (1-1 1/2, so it shows a fair amount of the other print. If I do a 1 piece napkin then a narrow maybe 1/4" border because I don't want to bring attention to the back. Pretty easy and they look impressive when finished. You can do placemats or really any mat or table runner similarly with a little tweeking. With placemats you can batt and quilt the 'inside piece' and then self bind. Looks great. If you're into embroidery you can put a nice monogrammed initial in the corner first and then do the mitering etc. Have fun with it.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'm not understanding "self binding" at all. Are you sewing right sides together, leaving a open spot and turning right sides out? I hate and despise the term "birthing" but is that what you are doing?
You cut the back large enough to bring it around to the front. The "binding" is made from the backing fabric and not sewing over the sandwich edge. My kind of quilting.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 AM

I recently made a table runner from a charm pack (maybe a MSQ tutorial) where I sewed right sides together and turned rightsides out and 1/4" stitched around the edges and it was super easy and looked great. I think I will give the napkins a try.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Sound great....Give us a tutorial....
Old 12-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay View Post
We've had a great crop of new babies in the past year, so I've been making self binding receiving blankets like a factory. I had some metallic marble that I bought as a remnant and had the probably not very original idea to use the same process for table napkins. I put the metallic with a mottled black and turned out four napkins in no time. Family members may get tired of these soonl
Is this using both pieces of fabric the same size and leaving a hole to turn or is it the method of one piece being larger and when turned inside out the larger piece comes to the side of the smaller piece looking like a binding?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 AM

Do you ladies use just regular quilter's cotton for the napkins, or the linen-like fabric, or? I've ordered ready-made napkins to do some machine embroidery on, but this can get expensive, so I really would appreciate any info on the type of fabrics you use. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
Do you ladies use just regular quilter's cotton for the napkins, or the linen-like fabric, or? I've ordered ready-made napkins to do some machine embroidery on, but this can get expensive, so I really would appreciate any info on the type of fabrics you use. Thanks!
Have you looked at kitchen supply places? You might be able to find solid colored napkins in nice fabric for half way cheap---------providing you are willing to buy a bundle at a time.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

great idea,thanks for a link