Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self diagnosis....  Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic >

Self diagnosis.... Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic

Self diagnosis.... Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic

Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 AM

I have that problem too. Fabric , no pattern. Pattern, no fabric!!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM

What's really bad is when you go out shopping and get fabric for a quilt and then after going through your stash for something you find the absolutely perfect one that you didn't know you had!!! Now more stash material!!! :lol: :lol: Now all my containers are sorted and labeled now!!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
I have a freak'n closet full of fabric. Everytime I pick out a quilt pattern I think I might want to make, I can't seem to coordinate anything from within my closet!!! What the heck! I think I need to see a therapist to help me get over this fabric/colorpick'nphobia! Or I need to go fabric shop'n some more....
Therapist here - I challange you do complete one item with the fabric you have. It can be a pin cushion or any item. I've had that problem and removed some colors from my stash. Sometimes we have too much variety and get confused.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 AM

I say go shopping. We all need to do our part to improve the economy. :lol:
Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Wish I had your problem! Off to garage sales this weekend and hope to run into someone reducing their stash! Never happens but I don't quit trying!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Thank goodness for scrappy quilts! I never purchase fabric with anything in mind. Only if I like it.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM

Good luck with the garage sales! Found a sheet set, with comforter, shams & bedskirt for $5 a couple hours ago. Passed on the comforter, shams and badskirt to a friend to give a family who recently lost their home in a fire, kept the sheets for quilt backs.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

My stash is close to "out of control" and I am forcing myself to use what I have rather than add to the insanity. (Oh yes, I love fabric shopping a little too much)

When I decide on a patter, and I find the focus fabric, I always find something to go with it. For me, it is important that there is no color distraction. It sounds like the closet overwhelms you. Why not pull a few candidates out and audition them away from the closet. You'll be surprised.

Of course if you'd rather go shopping...we want to see pics!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM

I rarely get the pattern first. I buy the fabric then wait for it to tell me what it wants to be!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I DO like the shopping idea, that's always my first choice! BUT if you must use your stash, here is an idea. I went through my stash and matched colors in sets of three. These I put in a large zip lock bag so they would stay together. I did it on a day when I wasn't looking for anything spacific, that seemed to help in finding matches. When you don't have a pattern you are looking to match, you see things a little differently. I also had a dear friend who has a great eye for color help me. She came up with combos that I wouldn't have. It makes it so much easier. After doing that, I found that I did use more from my stash.
I vote for Honey's suggestion.
(My suggestion was going to be to treat the closet like your scrap basket, close your eyes, feel a fabric and pull.)