Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self diagnosis....  Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic >

Self diagnosis.... Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic

Self diagnosis.... Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic

Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Gal

Honey I'm with you, I try a couple of fabrics together and put them aside if they are a good combo, I wait for the fabric to tell me what it wants to be! As I shop mostly in op shops for my fabrics, recycle clothing or garage sales etc it can be some time before I have all the fabrics collected together to start piecing. Because I have a lot of odd pieces I like to make blocks just because the colurs go together or a certain fabric looks like it would suit a particular block, when I have enough then I might look at how I might incorporate that into a top. I love the challenge of trying to make something creative 'out of nothing' as was the tradition in the old days. I have seen some wonderful quilts here made from denim jeans or recycled clothing etc.

Gal
Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure you just need to shop more. Maybe some coordinating fabric to go with what you have. And some more lovely fabric you don't have yet.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, nothing went to waste. Old shirts had the buttons cut off for the button box then cut into squares for quilts. The little pieces that were left over were sewn end to end and my mom crocheted them into rugs. Old coats were taken apart and the best parts used for new coats and snowpants for little ones. The scraps were made into hot pads for the kitchen. My mom never threw anything away that might, by any stretch of the imagination, be useful. My sister and I can attest to that after cleaning out her house when she passed. But that's how people were who grew up during the depression were and are. In so many ways we would be better off being more like them. I will use every square inch I can, but I really don't want to give up fabric shopping!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 AM

You need to relax and make scrappy quilts like I do. I once read somewhere that two fabrics may not go together, but any 20 or more are perfect, regardlesss of color or theme or anything. That has become my mantra...
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 AM

I always find two or three or more I want to use. Then I need that one fabric for sashing or borders to make it pop and guess what? I don't have it. Then back to the store etc.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 AM

The trick is when you buy for stash, buy a lot of basic, blender, and background fabrics instead of the big, splashy prints. Then when you do find that to die for print you already have stuff that goes with it in your stash.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 AM

I would love it if someone was reducing their stash ... I'd be in hog heaven :D
Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 AM

I was dealing with this and came up with this idea when I re-organized my stash.

I have an area for my stash has been coordinated with what I already have. I put these coordinated colors together and tie them gently with a ribbon. That way I know that pile goes together. Then I just stack them in this area so when I'm looking for fabric for a pattern, I look here first. I still usually have to buy more fabric to "go with" but at least I'm reducing my stash a bit.

We're working on a scrappy quilt at our guild so I bought a colorful border print but was able to pull all the other fabrics from my stash. I was very pleased with myself for being able to do that.... that doesn't usually happen.

Hope this helps!!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:49 AM

I never had a problem because i would purchase just what i needed, then I got into quilting and never met a fabric or sale i didn't like! i choose 1 fabric color and pick 2or 3 more to coordinate, then buy 3 yards of each. My "stash" is now in 2 cabintes and 3 drawers and 1 large tote. i know i should clean and organize but don't know if i could part with anything.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM

do like i have been doing..i pick out a pattern that i like..i evaluate my stash..such as colors and yardage....put them together in a plastic bag and take it along to your local shop to purchase those extra fabrics that are needed..it works..you will start to use up your stash and still get to go shopping...the trick is not to buy anything else while you are at it...you may even bring several projects like that along...good luck