Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self imposed quilting/sewing rules >

Self imposed quilting/sewing rules

Self imposed quilting/sewing rules

Old 03-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
I need to make my binding before I quilt my sandwich. When I am done with the quilting, I don't want a delay before I can put on my binding and move to finish.
I do too. I like to organize before my next project, but sometimes it doesn't happen..........sigh. I don't like working in clutter.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 AM

Shop my stash before I shop the quilt store. I also try to complete more of my UFOs before I start new projects.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:44 AM

I admire you! I need to be more like you.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 AM

I always have 2 or 3 things that I am working on....if I get tired of one, I work on another for awhile. Other than that, I have no rules.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM

I read the instructions first. Do the math for each block, write the unfinished size along side the instructions. Press each block as I finish sewing it. Measure it and make a note. When I finish the next block, press and sew it to the first block. When I finish the row, press it and square it. Continue this way until the top is finished. Rarely do I not have seams not match. Seems like a lot of work, but sure saves a lot of fustration and ripping out seams. My LA says she has never seen a quilt lays so flat and so easy to quilt.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Love the different answers...no I don't clean up, but envy those with neat workspaces all the time.

One thing I do is trim small scraps to the nearest half inch in width. For example: quilt back trimmings will become an even width of a long length or when cutting squares from say a 2 1/2" wof, that bit of leftover is trimmed to a 1, 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" piece and gets tossed in its appropriate sized bin. Then when I I'm scrapping those sizes, they are my precuts...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, I have no rules and that's why my sewing area looks like it does. I like having different projects out because if I need a break from my present project, I can take a few minutes to sort fabric scraps by color or trim a few more scrappy HST's. I have, however, been organizing my scraps by different colors because it saves lots of time when looking for a specific color. I haven't trained my 2 groups that give me their scraps to sort by color. Lol!

I do get to a point where I toss everything into a bin or two in order to get a few clean surfaces but eventually I dump it out and start again with those scraps!

Connie
Old 03-26-2017, 12:20 PM

I have two big bins of scraps under my cutting table. Each day before working on a quilt I spend the first five minutes randomly picking out scraps and cutting them into 2 1/2" squares or strips, five inch or ten inch squares, or even triangles or applique shapes with my Baby Go. I have separate plastic drawers for each size and shape. When I'm done sewing for the day I spend the last 5 minutes the same as the first 5 minutes.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM

So clever! Laughed out loud about this one.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Just learning, however I formulated a rule after making a block, in the form of a question to myself:
"K-Roll, why don't you actually do the math before you start cutting so that the block you designed comes out the size you want?" (I had to add strips to fill out to the size.)
Obvious rule, @ square one!