Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To sell or not to sell >

To sell or not to sell

To sell or not to sell

Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM

I am not that experiened. I make quilts for family, I enjoy my making of quilts a hobby. I don't have to be set to a time frame. I feel that if I were to sell quilts, I would never regain the time and money put into one. If I were to sell quilts, I would feel that it's not a hobby anymore.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM

I don't sell my quilts and for exactly all the reasons you mentioned. I have found you can't make a living selling your quilts for what they SHOULD be worth, unless you're someone famous, I suppose, and that just makes me upset about selling them. And I've found when I take quilting, which give not only produces quilts, but is very relaxing, and try to make it a job, I don't have any other way to relax. And I was never good at stopping 'work" quilting and going to 'my' quilting. Got burnt out too fast. But I DO like to make quilts as gifts. The time frame is largely my own, I generally decide who to give ( and NOT give) them to and a can largely keep track of them, as you say. I have also have given quilts to fundraisers, but that too has a tinge of not raising the amount it should be worth. My judgement for selling quilts is if you can make enough to not make you upset about parting with them, good. But just because you CAN do something tangible as a hobby, as opposed to, say, playing golf or reading, doesn't mean you should feel obligated to do it for money.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Maybe if you make one from start to finish with the intention of selling it, it wouldn't be as hard to part with it. The matter of its worth will always be difficult because only you will know what your time, effort and artistic value really are worth to you, but perhaps if you put it up for auction with a starting bid that reflects just the cost of material and a fixed value for your time, you may be pleasantly surprised what someone would be willing to pay - assuming the marketing is done effectively (ie, if it's a venue such as eBay, you have enough feedback points to assure potential bidders of your reliability, and the description is accurate and complete, the shipping reasonable, the pictures very clear. Having an auction end in the early evening of a weekend I have heard is also optimal.). Some quilt shows let quilters offer their works for sale. It might be worthwhile to check into that.

It's fairly certain that a person who is willing to pay a nice price for a quilt knows something about the value of it and will love having it, even though they don't know you personally. In fact, there's more assurance that it will be appreciated and cared for, perhaps, than if it is given to someone who may be "not that into quilts" as someone near to me was honest enough to say when I offered to make her one. It's possible that the experience of getting a good monetary value for your quilt will turn out to be quite rewarding, and if you start with just one you can say that you tried it and based your further decision about whether to sell on actual experience. From what others have said, it may not be a good idea to make a quilt to order because it seems like there are too many potential pitfalls, but the joy of making one exactly as you would like is still there, and just maybe others will be happy to demonstrate their appreciation for it by making a generous offer. Think of it as setting it free into the world - just one more way of sharing it with others.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM

I have a shop on Artfire. It costs $5.95 a month for everything that I have there. I only make what I want to make. I charge close to what I would like to get for them. If they sell, they sell. If they don't -oh well. Business is sporadic at best. When I get a buyer for 200-300 dollars - I'm really happy, and I go to buy more fabric. When I sell something little - that's good too. I have a lot of quilts in my house and have given many away. I MAKE QUILTS! You can only keep so many. If someone wants to me to make something for them - I listen carefully. I have them preview the fabric and design I have chosen. I ask for half of the cost up front. It works for me.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM

They are on here #47
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM

My husband is a woodworker and he too has trouble selling his items. He was told to figure the cost of materials and double that amount. That would account for his time, etc. I don't know if that would translate into sewing but it's something to mull over.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I don't sell my quilts and for exactly all the reasons you mentioned. I have found you can't make a living selling your quilts for what they SHOULD be worth, unless you're someone famous, I suppose, and that just makes me upset about selling them. And I've found when I take quilting, which give not only produces quilts, but is very relaxing, and try to make it a job, I don't have any other way to relax. And I was never good at stopping 'work" quilting and going to 'my' quilting. Got burnt out too fast. But I DO like to make quilts as gifts. The time frame is largely my own, I generally decide who to give ( and NOT give) them to and a can largely keep track of them, as you say. I have also have given quilts to fundraisers, but that too has a tinge of not raising the amount it should be worth. My judgement for selling quilts is if you can make enough to not make you upset about parting with them, good. But just because you CAN do something tangible as a hobby, as opposed to, say, playing golf or reading, doesn't mean you should feel obligated to do it for money.
The above post is the key to my own concerns about making some sort of living from sewinq/quilting-you probably cannot do so the way the infrastructure and living costs demand from you.

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
I have a shop on Artfire. It costs $5.95 a month for everything that I have there. I only make what I want to make. I charge close to what I would like to get for them. If they sell, they sell. If they don't -oh well. Business is sporadic at best. When I get a buyer for 200-300 dollars - I'm really happy, and I go to buy more fabric. When I sell something little - that's good too. I have a lot of quilts in my house and have given many away. I MAKE QUILTS! You can only keep so many. If someone wants to me to make something for them - I listen carefully. I have them preview the fabric and design I have chosen. I ask for half of the cost up front. It works for me.
The bane of the Arts & Crafts movement is that one needs to either the luxury of a financial backer similar to the wealthy royalty of past centuries to support you as you create whatever that you do. While it is possible to get a few dollars for your trouble, it is not enough to live on in a first world country. I cannot help but think about all those sewing factories have sprouted up in those far off third world countries leaving behind what little there is to make some semblance of a living. Don't believe me? Look at the top of the next bolt of fabric or labels in your clothing/shoes. Chances are the the article in question is "imported" and from anywhere else that is not a first world country.

Originally Posted by read2me1989 View Post
My husband is a woodworker and he too has trouble selling his items. He was told to figure the cost of materials and double that amount. That would account for his time, etc. I don't know if that would translate into sewing but it's something to mull over.
Big Box bargain shopping mania fueled by the flood of cheap and cheapen goods of most anything has or will push out most anyone serious about his/her craft. Trust me, it translate very well into sewing. My family has sewn for generations. I am the last one. I had to leave the industry because all the work went overseas and what is left is not taken too seriously (constant undercutting as discussed heavily above in the other posts). My family pressured me to go to college when I was a young girl to better myself & the family name. Even the academic/professional workplace has suffered the same (or similar) fate as factory work. The home cottage industries definitely feels the effects of poor legislation and thoughts of globalization. Nothing or no one is protected from rampant stupidity & greed.

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM

I just want to add another level to all this discussion. I think the reason I (we) have a hard time parting with our quilts is that we have given birth to them. We've picked the colors and fabrics carefully, worked on it day and night to have it just perfect and really created a one of a kind piece of art. Then to turn around and let go of it is difficult. I don't think anyone would pay what a quilt is really worth in time, energy, materials and care. Plus I don't think half the people I've given my quilts to really appreciate and know what a generous gift they have received. I sold some of my quilts but in the end it just wasn't worth it. My buyers didn't appreciate the work, my costs and they were always try to "bargain" with me. It is not a money making past time, no matter what someone says! I figure my kids will just have to deal with the quilts when I move into the home or take the dirt nap.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bicycle Hobo View Post
The bane of the Arts & Crafts movement is that one needs to either the luxury of a financial backer similar to the wealthy royalty of past centuries to support you as you create whatever that you do. While it is possible to get a few dollars for your trouble, it is not enough to live on in a first world country.
That's just plain baloney. The world is full of self-sustaining artists and craftsmen who are merely hard working, self-confident, talented people who never lose sight of their goals. They are happy, creative souls, loving what they do and doing what they love. It doesn't get better than that. I've known these people all my life...friends, relatives, neighbors and aquaintences...and not a single one has ever had a benefactor or patron.

Your bitterness about life is palpable and, in reality, should have no bearing at all on the future direction others reading this thread may take. Open the shutters and let some sunlight into your world. You'll live longer and enjoy it more.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM

If you have a place to sell your work other than at a craft fair, such as through a high end furniture store or gift boutique, why would you feel reluctant to sell at the price that the store wants to put on your goods? And if you can use the money, why be reluctant to earn it? The hard part is usually getting the entree to the market.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.