Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling a baby quilt? >

Selling a baby quilt?

Selling a baby quilt?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM

When I am asked to make a quilt for someone, I tell them that I charge $10 an hour and if I have to buy the fabric then that is extra. Then I let them decide if they want to do the quilt.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Make sure she is very clear on what she expects. Show her what you want to do before cutting one bit of the clothes. It would be terrible if she was disappointed in the quilt, considering you cannot "fix" it by going to buy fabric.

I too have been sewing for many years and I would not touch this one.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jenny C. View Post
My friend's sister just asked me to make a baby quilt for her daughter, using her old baby clothes, bibs, burp cloths, etc. I'm really new to the quilting game, so I'm honored she asked me to make one. But after having recently completed my first quilt (yay!), I realize how much time-and-effort go into making quilts, so I really appreciate that she offered to pay me. The thing is, I have NO idea how much to charge her!
Since she'll be supplying most, if not all, of the fabric, the cost would reflect my time and labor.
Does anyone have suggestions on what a fair price would be for a baby quilt? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
your time and labor are valuable. If it is someone dear to you, charge form the heart. But you are taking on a big project.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 AM

I think it sounds like fun...since you are new - have here supply everything and then maybe have her decide on how much she would pay, or have her buy you a gift card to a fabric store. That way it also will be less stressful for you...have fun and enjoy it. I never take money for my quilts I make...but I also do not normally quilt when someone requests one. I have done it once and she bought most of the materials...money is not the issue...the stress of doing one when someone is expecting one is...to me it takes the joy out of it and becomes stressful...