Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling quilts for what there worth? >

Selling quilts for what there worth?

Selling quilts for what there worth?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 AM

Sometimes I am on Etsy just to view things and see people there selling quilts and other crafts.
Me I never sell anything I make is just for myself and some small items get gifted to the very few persons that know how much work it is to do hand sewing and hand quilting, taking time and effort whilst being also in ill health.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

i think one of the reasons other people do not value quilts is because so many of us donate them or give them away.
therefore, i think "others" do not think we value them very much.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i think it needs to be said ...

the price of a quilt should reflect more than the cost of materials and number of hours spent making it.

the appearance and quality are equally important.
(to me, they are most important.)

i wouldn't ask the same for a simple irish chain as i would for a complex sampler or double wedding ring.
i wouldn't ask the same for a quilt with basic, minimum quilting as i would for that same quilt with fancy shmancy quilting.
i wouldn't ask at all to be paid for anything that looked sloppy or like it might not survive a trip through the washer.
(those go to an animal shelter. i won't donate anything i am - or should be - ashamed of.)

some quilters have unrealistic expectations.
(so do some customers, but that's a whole 'nother essay. lol)

it might be helpful to do as somebody has already suggested:
take some of your work to a professional appraiser.
then you'll know what it's truly worth from a retail perspective.
i agree - person a and person b may have spent the same amount of money on materials - but the results may or may not be equal.

some people are artists, some are technicians -and some of us are "still practicing".

i think even the non-experts can tell a show- stopper from a poorly done piece. they may not be willing -or able- to pay for either one, but most people can tell.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM

I once got a hilarious request (at least in my opinion) to make 3 queen sized quilts to use as drapes for a good friend’s new house........I adore that friend still but her husband called to ask because he was too cheap to buy blinds.....having me gift quilts in his odd choice of colors was a much cheaper idea because he was assuming I would gift them. Sorry way too busy!

At the same time I was living in a new house with no drapes on the sliding glass doors because they were super expensive, and he must have known we were without drapes! I considered quilts for mine after the conversation but waited and bought blinds on sale. Because quilts were not cheap and a whole lot of time!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
i think one of the reasons other people do not value quilts is because so many of us donate them or give them away.
therefore, i think "others" do not think we value them very much.
That's a very good point, Bear. I never thought of that.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:13 AM

I don't sell my quilts. I think that the friends and family members that I give my quilts to really do appreciate them and understand just how much work goes into making them. That gives me the joy in inspiration to keep making more quilts for them. I think that it's the love that is attached to the quilts that makes them rare and valuable to the recipients. You can't buy that on Ebay or Walmart.

~ C
Old 12-28-2018, 05:16 AM

Daylesewblessed, I love your Scrabble quilt! We have a Scrabble player in our family who would adore this. I'll have to put this quilt on my list for future quilts to make.

~ C
Old 12-28-2018, 06:41 AM

Mumto2,

Your friend's husband is equally parts outrageous, funny, shocking, rude, thoughtless, and did I say outrageous! I am glad you are still friends with the woman, but really?? Maybe you should ask him to put a new roof on your house or rebuild your transmission? It's just labor and a few parts, right?

Enjoy your quilts and quilting!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by LadyAg View Post
Mumto2,

Your friend's husband is equally parts outrageous, funny, shocking, rude, thoughtless, and did I say outrageous! I am glad you are still friends with the woman, but really?? Maybe you should ask him to put a new roof on your house or rebuild your transmission? It's just labor and a few parts, right?

Enjoy your quilts and quilting!
You gave me a good laugh this morning! Thank you, labor and a few parts indeed!!!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:02 AM

There are very few quilters that make money at quilting and most that do it isn't from selling their quilts but their designs or skills as a teacher or their innovative rulers or quilting paraphernalia. You (meaning anyone) have no control over how people view quilts and it is a long established fact that most people can't or won't pay enough to cover the cost of making a quilt. The definition of insanity is repeating the same action expecting different results, so instead of "punching the wind" or lamenting about how things "should be" it might be better to do a different action. Find something less expensive to make that people will pay for, and do it well, and do it in a way that "big box" can't easily imitate. For instance bags or purses, this is something people are "seen with" so they place more value in. But made w/ very unexpected / fancy / cool fabric or prints that people cannot go to Wally World and buy for $5.