Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-27-2013, 07:22 PM

Hi! I am Sandy and I am a selvege saver! :-) I have made two quilts, two jackets and various little projects, hot pads, little bags, those funky chickens from the great pattern posted here. I figure if I pay $8-10 per yard of fabric, I am going to get my money's worth. I usually don't save the pieces smaller than 3 inches. Those go in the scrap bag for a dog bed and as soon as I can find someone who can use the big bag of scraps, off it will go. For the quilts, I cut up cheapo fabric into squares and sew strips of selvege onto them as leaders and enders while I am sewing other things. In a few months, I have enough blocks for a quilt.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
They are darlin' now aren't they? DD we ought ta sneak over there & steal a few o' those.
Sorry dublb they aren't mine--just a picture from the tute!

SandyinZ4--any pics to share?

Last edited by oksewglad; 04-27-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Aw shucks! I was lookin' forward ta a midnight raid. LOL
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 PM

Nope, I don't save mine!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM

I too save them. I'm a bit of a hoarder though, not much gets thrown away here. I save them in part because I think it will be fascinating history, yes. Also because each bit of fabric brings back memories. I like some of the neat things I've seen people make from them and I hope to do something with mine some day. I generally cut about 1" off the edge of all my fabric - selvage and into the fabric itself so I get just a bit of the print too. I save them in a zip lock baggie...unless I'm feeling lazy, and that's almost always, and in that case they get tossed into the scrap bin.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 AM

Hum, I may become a SS after reading all the neat things I could make with them. But, then again.......
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 AM

pictures of your needlebook etc..would love to see them..
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 AM

I
Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I too save the selvages for the colors in case I need to coordintae colors..After that it becomes filling in a dog beg with the rest of my too small to use scraps
I went to James Stitching Sisters event here in Columbus and met a lady who made dog beds filled with scraps. NOW I too will be saving everything for her. She was such a sweet lady. She make 50 some quilts for the James Cancer Hosp. and dog beds. She was amazing.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 AM

There are a lot of really cute examples of projects you can sew from selvages. If you look on Etsy and Pinterest you can find lots of great things made with selvages. Love those funky chickens OKSewGlad!
I've been in love with those colored dots on the edge since I was a kid. You are right - it is a bit of history. But I've never really saved them until my last quilt.
Recently I made a Kaffe Fassett strip quilt from more than 82 different fabrics. I knew it wouldn't take away from the strips I needed to cut for the quilt, so after the fabric was pre washed and ironed, I cut the selvages off in nice long strips with 1 inch or more of fabric still attached. Not all the fabrics had pretty selvages though. Then I folded them all up and mailed them to a friend on the QB who is a huge Kaffe Fassett fan and selvage user. She really liked them.
I'd say saving selvages is worth it because even if you don't plan to use them, you can always find someone who would love to have them.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 AM

I am a selvage saver - did a great tote bag from them. And a friend did a badge holder bag from them for me that I always get comments on. I have seen several really cute projects and have 2 books that give patterns using them. I love the chicken pin cushions!

If anyone wants to send me selvages, I will gladly pay postage on them! Just PM me.