Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM

I save them for a member in the quilt guild I belong to. I have not used them personally but have seen some neat bags made with them. Instead of putting a zipper in them they put broken tape measure in place of a zipper and they snap shut. I have even seen huge totes made with them. They are also great for gardening, tie up quilt pieces.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 PM

You bet I will!! I've run out of one of the fabrics in the latest quilt I'm working on. Its an odd piece and can't find it anywhere. Got it on a 2 day shop hop so don't remember which shop it was. And it was about a year or so ago. So now I don't have any point of reference to search for it. If I would of only kept the selvege with the information. I will do that from now on until I finish the quilt.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM

What timing for this thread, I've ben saving selvages for years with a vague idea of using them. Finally last week I started sewing them to muslin 9 in squares, and having so much fun, when I wake up I can't wait to get back to sewing room. The blocks are looking so cute. Haven't totally decided on finished product, but probably a summer quilt, just use flannel for a backing, no batting. And I want to do tote bags for my sister & myself.
When I first started saving them I cut them too narrow, luckily realized that mistake in time, now cut them with about 1/2 in. or more of the fabric showing above the selvage.
This is a fun project!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM

I am saving mine to make books on a bookshelf. Someone on the Quilt Board has an avatar with selvages as the names of the books. I think I have enough now. I may have to applique some or all because they are so narrow.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
SandyinZ4--any pics to share?
Here is the link to jacket I made or one of them anyhow. ( I mis-typed the title) I gave the other to my granddaughter. Have given all the other things away except for a selvage quilt top that is not finished yet. I think if you use the search box here on the board with selvege, you will find lots of pics. :-)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t146088.html

I cut mine off at 1.25. That gives me enough to sew with and still leave a bit of pretty showing. I have a small amount of ones that folks have given me that are too small to use for what I want but would work good for someone who wants to use them to crochet with. I will send them if you PM me with your address and can use them.
Some selveges have such neat names that I have a small jar with those special ones and will make a bookshelf quilt with the names for spines of books. That is still on the bucket list.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM

I tied up my grape vines with them. So much prettier than store bought ties.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Here is the link to jacket I made or one of them anyhow. ( I mis-typed the title) I gave the other to my granddaughter. Have given all the other things away except for a selvage quilt top that is not finished yet. I think if you use the search box here on the board with selvege, you will find lots of pics. :-)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t146088.html

I cut mine off at 1.25. That gives me enough to sew with and still leave a bit of pretty showing. I have a small amount of ones that folks have given me that are too small to use for what I want but would work good for someone who wants to use them to crochet with. I will send them if you PM me with your address and can use them.
Some selveges have such neat names that I have a small jar with those special ones and will make a bookshelf quilt with the names for spines of books. That is still on the bucket list.
Thanks--looks great!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 AM

Great work!! I haven't been keeping salvages, but I certainly will start now, how about using a blue jean jacket or jean vest? So many projects and so little time! Can't wait for your tut
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 AM

I make bags out of them to give as little gifts...they are so cute, were in a mag sometime ago...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 AM

Love all the cute and clever things y'all do with selvedges, but that's not for me. I cut off only the bare minimum of selvedge from each piece I cut. So mine are about 1/4" x maybe 4" - 6" max. Not big enough for anything but possibly the stuffing someone mentioned.