Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Senior Moment

alcohol works on leather. Don't know about cotton.

I had an ink pen run on the center of one of my quilts once. I got it out with bleach but it made it dissolve, ruined the quilt.

My husband was always forgetting to put the lid back on his ink pens and putting them back in his pocket. So I have had lots of experience getting ink out. Cheap hairspray is the best for ballpoint ink. But if it is permanent ink, I make a paste with Cascade and Dawn dishwashing detergent and rub. The main thing to keep in mind...keep it wet until it is all out. Do not dry until it is all out. Once dry it is virtually impossible to get out. It is actually good that it is on white fabric because you can use bleach products to help get it out.

Try using a pencil eraser 1st, it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    Those Senior moments can make you laugh or get upset, but I'm getting used to them.
    Ditto!!!

i have used hair spray always worked for me

new user
    I found a product at Kmart that I really like called "Greased Lightning". I use it it all the time for my laundry on spots. The trick is to use a toothbrush & rub it well into the material. Don't know if it will work on your quilt, but it does a great job on oil & grease stains.

The hairspray must have alcohol in it or it will not work.

Blog Entries
    I have used hairspray but I have had better luck with the aresol spray.

Senior Moments are nothing more than brain farts. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsofjoy
    Yesterday I made mega boo boo. While I was marking a quilt top with a chalk pencil I received a phone call. I answered the phone, had to write down a number, then hung up the phone. I walked back over to my material and before I realized what I was doing I started marking my material with the ink pen I just used. I marked about a half an inch before I realized what I was doing. On white material no less. AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH! Hopefully it will come out.
    Well did you get it out.....

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz
    Senior Moments are nothing more than brain farts. LOL
    and some are bigger than others

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I haven't tried to get it out yet. I will probably wait until I finish quilting it so I can treat it and then wash it. I hate to leave anything strong on the fabric. It might damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaWahine
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    I heard hair spray takes ink out. Can't say I remember if it works.. http://www.ehow.com/how_4886844_ink-...-clothing.html
    I have used Hair Spray on just a few things and it does work. DH has a habit of leaving pens in his pocket and then I find it in the washing maching or dryer :evil: I have even taken ink off the inside of a dryer with hair spray.

On white, it may take a few times to get it out, but keep trying.
    Only some types of hairspray work, so if your first attempt doesn't budge it try another brand.

How about dried and set blood? Is there any hope of getting that out of a quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee Virtual Assistant
    I found a product at Kmart that I really like called "Greased Lightning". I use it it all the time for my laundry on spots. The trick is to use a toothbrush & rub it well into the material. Don't know if it will work on your quilt, but it does a great job on oil & grease stains.
    We picked up a bottle of this at Lowes . . . .good stuff! We used it to clean a disgusting used fridge, I mean DIS-GUST-ING! Cleaned it up sparkling, spanking new. Quite surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    How about dried and set blood? Is there any hope of getting that out of a quilt?
    I used to work for an oral surgeon. We used hydrogen peroxide on our uniforms. They were synthetic, tho. In the laundry section at the local supermarket they display tiny, colorful plastic bottles of stain remover, usually on the top shelf. Each is labeled for a specific type of stain (grass, blood, etc). Can't think of the brand or what I bought it for but it worked.

I use hand sanitizer (just gel rubbing alcohol) to get ink out of everything at school where I work. It's easily grabbed off my desk when I need it....

Get a bar of Ivory soap(not liquid). Wet the spot and vigorously rub soap into spot. Leave in a little while. Rinse with water and dry(can us a hair dryer). If you have a ring type stain after treating - that's a soap ring - just rinse again. I find the Ivory takes out just about all stains even old ones. Old ones may need 2 treatments. On clothes, I rub in the Ivory and leave it on the spot until I get around to washing it. It doesn't hurt to have the soap dry on the cloth.
    A friend taught me this many, many years ago and I've always used it with great success.
    Good luck. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    See my answer to the OP about a bar of Ivory Soap . How "set" is the stain? Yes, Ivory soap will often work on dried and set blood. Always use cold water on blood stains.
    Really rub the stain with the Ivory. With blood, if I rub well with the soap and water I can see the stain come out. An old stain may be a problem, but the soap will probably lighten it at least.
    With a stain on a quilt, I put a towel behind the quilt and then work on the stain, rubbing in plenty of soap.

Hair spray works because of the alcohol in it. Alcohol works. The last time I got ink on a white square, I used CVS Instant Stain Remover On the Go. It worked so well that I now keep a tube of it in my sewing room. I do use clear water to remove the stain remover from the fabric. I think it tends to turn yellow in sunlight if not rinsed out.

Power Poster
    I think we have all "been there, done that" a time or two. The suggestions given are sound and should get the ink out, especially if you do something right away.

Ok, this might be the spot to put an applique on if it doesn't come out. At least you caught it before you did more than 1/2 an inch. It could have been much worse.

Oh dear. Sorry that happened. Hope you got the ink out!

I have found that rubbing alcohol is the best thing to get ink out. DAB it on with a few Q-tips, don't rub, get out as much as you can with the alcohol, then wash, it should come right out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast