Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: "Sequence" for quilting.

"Sequence" for quilting.

I am about to start quilting my table runner and would like some advice please about my "order" of quilting. It is thread basted with an all over herringbone stitch so is very secure. I would like to do a simple SITD or echo around each spike and the two borders. As there is no "centre motif" to start from and work out from, do I just do each star block in its entirety or do I do parts of each one...for example.....stitch ALL the inner spikes of all my motifs, and then ALL the inner backgrounds and then ALL the outer spikes and then finally move on to my outer border? Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    I would start SITD in the center of one compass and work out until it was finished. I would then press the runner to see if it had moved any with the quilting. If everything was okay, I would then quilt the second compass. Lovely runner!

DJ
    So very pretty! No advice on the quilting sequence.

I agree with the first suggestion. Really pretty!

I would be careful about 'starts and stops' as you do the STID. This means care in choosing the color and weight of thread you use-perhaps 60 weight Auriful or maybe even a 60 weight polyester.

I would do as Tartan suggested and also use a 60 weight thread like Bottomline or Aurifil, as Quilterpurpledog suggested. It is so fine it will just sink into the ditches and you'll never see it.

Watson

Blog Entries
    Beautiful fabric and pattern. Can’t wait to see it quilted.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I would actually use a finer thread than 60 wt. I would go with 80 wt like Wonderfil Decobob or the 100 wt invisifil or silk for the ditching. Or a monofilament/clear.

Blog Entries
    Just wanted to say I love your table Runner!!

As always- How far apart does you batting require. The farther apart the batting suggest the less quilting I would do. Often less is more! I use invisible thread on top for my stitch in the ditch and a coordinating thread on the back. Remember if you use a dark thread on the bottom then there maybe "dots" that show up on the white. I would use variegated thread on the bottom.

I would start on the outside of the large center points, then circle edges, last the outer star points. I like the octagon basting around the star. use blue painter tape to make straight lines!

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I would actually use a finer thread than 60 wt. I would go with 80 wt like Wonderfil Decobob or the 100 wt invisifil or silk for the ditching. Or a monofilament/clear.
    Exactly what I was thinking!
    It will disappear well ... and any oopsies out of the ditch will almost disappear.

As for the sequence ... not knowing the size of your runner, but somewhat guessing, because of the probably size of the stars .... I would probably SITD both sides of the narrow border, then go straight to the stars.

Doing each singly would be fine. Although, I might not, especially if I was not fully set on what I was going to do for the quilting. I'd probably do the inner star section of both first, then assess whether I am sticking with SITD or what sections I am leaving open or if I wanted to do some other top stitching, then continue on with the next section.

Lovely runner .... have fun with your quilting and taking it across the finish line!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Very pretty table runner.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.