Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Help! >

Serger Help!

Serger Help!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Look for some classes that will teach you how to use the serger. I took a class at the shop where I bought my Janome serger. I use my serger all the time. Last year for Christmas, I made 4 quilts, one was a twin, two were queens and one was a king and used the serger on all of them. I have three sergers and I keep different color thread on each one. One is set up to do the narrow decorative binding. When I make clothes, I use my regular machine and also the serger. Seams stay in longer, especially on pajama pants. I need to take another class, because the teacher could do all sorts of neat things with the serger.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I use my serger to make and repair clothing. I have made quillows with it, but haven't used it for quilting yet. though I do like the idea of serging around a quilt before binding it. I also make pillowcases -- 3 seams, and you're done when you use the "hot dog" method to make the pillowcases.
My serger balked on me making Hot Dog pillow cases when I got to the thickest part. I tried to make it go through it and ended up with a broken needle and a complete retreading job. I should have stopped when it stalled and didn't want to go any further. Lucky you that your machine doesn't mind. :)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Hey! don't know nuttin bout no serger, never even heard of it! Just noticed your name and my mama's name is Jean and we call her grandma jean! How cool is that?!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:17 PM

They are really great helpers. But it does take practice , and if you can take some classes you won't regret it. Threading is the hardest, tension can be played with, and really, once you start using one, you will wonder how you lived without it!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 PM

All you ladies seem to like your sergers,I just got to figure out the 2,3,4 thread and what they are used for. Definately gonna look up Nancy Notions for that book on sergers. Thanks for sharing you thoughts.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne
All you ladies seem to like your sergers,I just got to figure out the 2,3,4 thread and what they are used for. Definately gonna look up Nancy Notions for that book on sergers. Thanks for sharing you thoughts.

If you get in a bind and really need a serger book and can't buy one yet I can loan you mine until you get one! I can also try to copy the instructional dvd mine came with and send it to you . Just pm me your address!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 AM

I have had a serger for the past 13 years and I don't think I could live without it. You can easily make the most beautiful rolled hems on tablecloths, napkins, hems and lots of other things. I love mine to sew polar fleece as well. Most of all, I love the fact that there are no ravelly edges on anything, it all gets cut off and into the trash it goes. I have an industrial ($1500 and worth it!) and a home serger. Love it for making clothes, too.
Take the time to learn to use it, you will love it!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Sergers are temporamental and can tax a person to no end, but stick with it and you will learn many things to use it for including many decorating ideas plus all the practical uses. The more you use it the more comfortable you will become and you will begin to enjoy it. Read your book and read your book again and again and use other books that are suggested above. You will learn to love it.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewred
Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne

If you get in a bind and really need a serger book and can't buy one yet I can loan you mine until you get one! I can also try to copy the instructional dvd mine came with and send it to you . Just pm me your address!
Thanks for your generosity---you are so kind. I ordered a book yesterday to give me some information. But if it's not what I am looking for I might just get back to you. Thanks again for the offer.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM
np3
Power Poster

You'll like it when you get going with it.