Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Problem >

Serger Problem

Serger Problem

Old 11-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Take it from me, do not take shortcuts when rethreading your serger. If you have a problem with, say, the #2 thread, unthread #3 and #4 before you try to rethread. Do it all in the right order as your directions say, and you will probably get it to stitch.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM

When all fails in threading and you can't figure out which thread is where. Practice threading with different color threads. It helps alleviate confusion when you are trying to figure out where you are going wrong. After you have solved the issue, you rethread (practice makes perfect).

I know that sounds crazy but it works. I change thread so often I don't think about it. On my machine, I start on the right and work to the left.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 PM

The frustrating part about this serge not stitching is that I have used it, until I broke the needle. Since then I have not been able to get it to work so I put it away. Now I really need to stitch with it and so I started with new needles. I have tried several times today to thread it, with no success. :( :cry:
I was about to take it to the repairman when I read this thread again. So I will keep trying and trying. I wouldn't want the repairman to have a laugh for the day now would I? Sorta like the guy who brings his mower to the shop because it won't run and it's outta gas. LOL :lol:
Thanks for the tips
Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Does anyone know if a serge can be out of timing? I am just not able to get mine to do a chain stitch no matter what I try. Just wondered if this could be the problem.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM

I imagine that sergers can be out of whack. I would put in a call to your dealer and ask.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 PM

I struggled for two or three hours one night with the same problem. What I had done was use a sewing machine needle in the serger that was different from the Singer needle I should have used. Have you recently change a needle? It will not loop if it even just a little shorter.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Your sewing machine needles aren't the same as your serger needles?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM

What brand of serger do you have? I have to turn a knob on mine as well as thread it.- Sorry, after reading, I think I have misunderstood your terminology - do you mean it won't do single chain stitch, or that it won't sew?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Does anyone know if a serge can be out of timing? I am just not able to get mine to do a chain stitch no matter what I try. Just wondered if this could be the problem.
Have you tried a new needle?
And yes, they can be out of timing, but that shouldn't happen just from sitting in the closet -- unless maybe it just needs professional cleaning after sitting that long.
Good luck!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:56 PM

No, I use Schmetz needles in my machines, but my Singer serger requires its own Singer needles. I have to keep them separate.

And Lneal, I have learned that a serger can be out of time. It sure doesn't sound like you have done anything to get yours out of time, tho. I think it takes really rough handling to do that. I agree with the others you should take all the thread off the machine and start with one at a time following the instructions. Oh yes, I think that someone last year suggested taking a rough piece of paper (like a dollar bill) and running it through each tension disc. Hope you get it running soon.