Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Quilts? >

Serger Quilts?

Serger Quilts?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Many sergers can use two or three threads so it would lessen the bulk.

Cari
I have a 3 thread serger & used it when I did garment sewing. I never used it to do seams, just to finish the edges of the seams. I would sew the seams on the sewing machine then finish/trim with the serger. I didn't think just the 3 threads would be strong enough for the critical seams. Didn't want to chance a 'split'.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:25 AM

Many years ago -- almost twenty, I think -- I did costumes for JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT at our local community theatre. I used twelve different colors of denim to make overalls for each of the brothers. I cut all of the leftovers into twelve-inch blocks, which I sewed together to make a false proscenium for the stage. When the production was over, I sewed the blocks together to make a huge picnic quilt, which we are still using today. It didn't need backing or batting of any kind because of the weight of the denim. I did it all on my serger using a plain four-thread stitch. Yes, the seams are a little lumpy; but, when it's on the ground, no one seems to notice them. It goes through the washer and dryer without any problems whatever.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:02 AM

Thanks for all the inputs and ideas everyone! I like the idea of no bobbin. I've a lovely serger that was given to me for Christmas last year and I feel terrible that I haven't used it a lot, as it probably cost a pretty penny. I think I'll try Eleanor Burns Quick Trip with my serger; give it some mileage I'll lower the blade and increase my stitch width to 1/4" seam. I think it'll work. I'll keep you all posted!