Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Quilts? >

Serger Quilts?

Serger Quilts?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 PM

Default Serger Quilts?

I just bought Eleanor Burns " Quick Trip Quilts" book and she says that the pattern would make a great serger quilt. Just curious, has anyone here made a serger quilt and what did you think the benefits were? Why would some one want to make a quilt with a serger?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 AM

Your question prompted a few thoughts I had not had before. A serger goes really fast, does not have a bobbin thread to worry about, and most can be adjusted to make a quarter inch seam. right off the top of my head, I wonder if those Jelly Roll quilts could not be done with a serger? Gonna pay attention to answers to this and see what others have to say. Love my serger and really don't use it enough.
What a great question....
Old 09-27-2017, 05:37 AM

I remember when Eleanor made the quilt with the serger prompted me to want a serger but the more I thought about it I couldn't figure out about the seams. How would it work with quilting? So I never did it! I'll be watching the responses as well.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:30 AM

I did a quilt, two of them from a pattern in a book on serging, and it used the jelly roll, even though I cut my own stips. First of all, it'll hold up really nicely. It lays pretty flat. I'm going to use my Sashiko to quilt them. Nancy Zieman has a book on making quilts on a serger. Check out the you tube videos. I do like the speed even though my machine is fast but I really like not having to change the bobbin or run out of thread
Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM

I pieced the back for a Turning Twenty quilt on the serger. It went fast, was done and gone to the quilter in a jiffy. I was happy with it. The longarm quilter, not so much! She was pretty new at the longarm process, and said the seams were bulky. I think it might have been her inexperience, but maybe not. It was not obvious in the finished product, and I had a good time making it. The top was pieced on the sewing machine, so no bulk there. I think you could whip up a quick project with a panel (I LOVE panels) and some borders, so not a lot of little pieces, and it would be great!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I think it depends on if the fabric is something that ravels. In that case a serger would be a godsend. I use my serger all the time in dressmaking and home dec. It makes life easier finishing off the seams as you sew. Also in the wash, it stays put, is neat and looks great for most projects.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Like RedGarnet, I use my serger extensively in home dec and garment making. The only problem I can think of for quilting is that the seams are very bulky because they have 4 threads wrapping around them and so might be hard to get really flat. Also, the seams to tend to shadow thru when pressed very hard so that might be a deterrent. I'm not sure I want to try it. I'm just learning accurate seams on my sewing machines. I don't think I'm ready to try to make an accurate seam on my serger.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Like RedGarnet, I use my serger extensively in home dec and garment making. The only problem I can think of for quilting is that the seams are very bulky because they have 4 threads wrapping around them and so might be hard to get really flat. Also, the seams to tend to shadow thru when pressed very hard so that might be a deterrent. I'm not sure I want to try it. I'm just learning accurate seams on my sewing machines. I don't think I'm ready to try to make an accurate seam on my serger.
Many sergers can use two or three threads so it would lessen the bulk.

Cari
Old 09-27-2017, 10:29 AM

I made a very simple wide strip quilt out of flannel on my serger. It was a wedding gift to my son and his wife. I used a serger because they have inside cats and I knew the quilt would be washed a lot. I quilted it on my longarm. I did not have any trouble at all and it went together fast and the seams were pressed well and they layed nice and flat. I used a 5 thread safety stitch for added strength.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I just bought Eleanor Burns " Quick Trip Quilts" book and she says that the pattern would make a great serger quilt. Just curious, has anyone here made a serger quilt and what did you think the benefits were? Why would some one want to make a quilt with a serger?
I often use just 3 threads to serge seams of knits and to finish edges of large pieces of fabric before washing. Try out some scraps and see if the 3 thread seam is sturdy enough for your needs. My biggest worry would be a mishap with the knife taking out a chunk where it shouldn't.