Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Thread for Machine Quilting? >

Serger Thread for Machine Quilting?

Serger Thread for Machine Quilting?

Old 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I have used MaxiLock thread in my APQS longarm quilting machine for over 21 years, and have had much more success with it than with expensive thread from such places as Superior Thread. I also use it in my domestic machine with no problems. I have made hundreds of quilts, and have not had any problem with it. I know not all machines are alike, so use what works for you is my advice.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 PM

I have also used it for years with no problems.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:00 PM

You know how people always tell you to test the strength of the thread by tugging on it between your hands to see if it snaps, and that'll tell you if it's "good" or not? I hear this most when people talk about having purchased thread at a garage or estate sale. I can snap my Aurifil 50/2 very easily with this test. I can't actually break any of my serger thread. I quilted with serger thread before I knew I wasn't supposed to. I've never had any of those stitches break and all of those quilts are still going strong (I wash in washing machine on gentle). On my daughter's bed quilt, which I quilted with Aurifil, every time I make her bed and tuck the quilt between the foot of her bed and footboard, I hear stitches snap. I'm going to have to check it one of these days and try to figure out where it's snapping.

Ymmv, but that's just my experience.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Power Poster

Be really careful using surger thread for piecing. it is only two ply and not very strong. It is meant to be used with several other threads in combination to give it the strength it needs to hold up. Consider all the time and expense you spend to make a wonderful quilt, why use a product not meant for that application.

Even though some people will say no problem there are many factors that live with that statement that need to be considered like how they are used and washed and stored, a kick around , kids quilt or an heirloom.

One of the best tips I got as a new quilter is to always try to find and use the best quality you can afford. Put that money to use in the best place.

As an example, I can't afford expensive fabric for every quilt I make. Most of them are made from scraps and old shirts from second hand stores. There is a lot of fabric in old shirts. This low cost recycled fabric allows me to buy better thread and I know my quilt will not fall apart over many years of use.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Like most everything else, "serger thread" comes in a wide variety based on manufacturer. I've seen some from the "big box" stores that is very poor quality and I wouldn't use it even on my Serger. There is a lot of 100% cotton thread that I think is very poor quality and I won't use it.

I've been using Maxi-lock for my quilting for many years now, but I normally don't piece with it as I prefer a thinner thread for that.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:40 AM

I used serger thread to quilt a queen size quilt a long time ago. It broke all over the place within a year. At first they were toe catchers and then they became loops. I still have the quilt and I am removing the quilting so that I can redo it properly.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 PM

I use serger thread for piecing and quilting. Some of my quilts are 15 years old or older and none have fallen apart.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 PM

I have to agree with Macybaby! I would not use a thread that is intended to be combined with like thread for serging, overcasting, etc. Quilting thread is generally heavier and, therefore, stronger. It's your quilt, so you use what you want, but I won't spend time making a quilt and use serger thread to quilt it. If I'm going to quilt, I use the product that is specific to quilting. Quilts undergo a lot of stress during it's quilt life -- I use the thread intended for quilting! JMHO
Old 07-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Maxi Lock makes all purpose thread that can be used in the serger. It's 100% poly thread and very strong. It is tex 27 with tex 30 being 40 wt. which is a thick thread. It is not the thin serger thread made just for sergers.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
You know how people always tell you to test the strength of the thread by tugging on it between your hands to see if it snaps, and that'll tell you if it's "good" or not? I hear this most when people talk about having purchased thread at a garage or estate sale. I can snap my Aurifil 50/2 very easily with this test. I can't actually break any of my serger thread. I quilted with serger thread before I knew I wasn't supposed to. I've never had any of those stitches break and all of those quilts are still going strong (I wash in washing machine on gentle). On my daughter's bed quilt, which I quilted with Aurifil, every time I make her bed and tuck the quilt between the foot of her bed and footboard, I hear stitches snap. I'm going to have to check it one of these days and try to figure out where it's snapping.

Ymmv, but that's just my experience.
I have been wondering the same thing. I can snap Aurifil with a small tug yet thread on a wooden spool I cannot break so …….
I have a friend who quilted her husband's quilt with Aurifil and she says every time he tucks it under his feet and pulls on it she hears the stiches break. Not knocking Aurifil because I have scads of it but my first 2 quilts that I made, I used serger thread to piece them and you guessed it, they are still together.
I know, heresy )