Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Thread for quilting??? >

Serger Thread for quilting???

Serger Thread for quilting???

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM

I use serger thread all the time. I am so glad to hear I am not the only one.
I love that I can get it for $1.99 on sale at JoAnns.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Not all serger thread is created equally!
I would only use MaxiLock.
If you compare the threads side by side in a good light, you can see the nubs, fuzz, etc. on the other threads.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Hi there....just took a long arm course from a lady who has been quilting (long arm) for 12 years and she says that it is important to use good quality thread to piece a quilt(cotton) but use what ever works in your machine for the quilting....within reason....
Threads have come a long way and what you are looking for is the strenght of the thread....therefore polyester or cotton wrapped polyester will do a lovely job and looks nice as well...
If you use silk thread to do the binding(had sewn part) it will do nicely and goes throught material very easily...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 AM

I have lots of Serger thread I inherited from my mom. So happy to know I can quilt with it. (I am new to the Quilting Forum. Hello to all "fellow" quilters)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Update on my serger quilting.
I decided to play a little before actually going straight to my quilt.
I tried the serger thread on cotton fabric and it looked good to me. However, when I did my sample on flannel...(which is what I made my quilt from). I didn't care for the results at all. The stitches seemed to sink into the fabric as apposed to sitting on top.
I then tried a 100% cotton on the flannel and I did like the way it looked much better. It must be that the serger thread is just to thin for the flannel. Which is what many of you had said about serger thread.
I am going to stick with the cotton thread for the quilt.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Dee

I have used maxi lock and it works quite well.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I use it all the time and have no problems either. Nothing has fallen apart either. I also use it to piece.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

When I first got my serger, I bought some serger thread from Wally world. Glad it was only one cone as it was so poor--irregular thickness and shed just looking at it. I use the poly Maxilock when piecing.
I do a lot of small work and have found a finer thread gives less bulk when sewing 1" or less pieces.
Coats has a good machine quilting mercerized Egyptian cotton on a 1200 yd core that I like to use as well. Egyptian cotton and Pima cotton are what's called long staple cottons and have longer fibers to make threads. The longer the fibers the stronger the thread and the less lint. Polyester threads are made from oil.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM

I found this thread giving a great deal of information on threads, including Serger thread.http://www.quilt.com/Bernina/Thread101.html

Opinions abound, but I think that Serger thread is to light weight. My serger takes 3-4 threads to work. Try breaking your favorite quilting thread, and then try breaking the serger thread. Over time some of the threads on your quilt may break with use. If you find no difference between your quilting thread and the serger thread, go for it.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

I use the serger thread. I have a big spool that one of the ladies sent me. So I sew everything with it. God bless.